Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB/Ham mobile antenna

Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB/Ham mobile antenna

In the near future, I'm going to be getting my ham license. For now I wish to purchase a radio that will monitor cb/Gmrs and eventually ham. I believe Baofeng portables will with an external antenna. Again for now looking to monitor not talk (unless and emergency) on CB/GMRS and really don't want to buy two radios (CB and then Ham). Can it be done

And lastly is their an all around antenna that I could use on my vehicle as opposed to having to mount two more antenna on the jeep

Cheers
Al

Last edited by Al Gilliland; 10-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

You will need two antennas to use for CB and ham. I don't think that there is a radio that you can use for CB & ham. CB is AM & most ham bands that are popular with mobile users use FM. I may be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure you'll need two transceivers and 2 antennas.

Sent from my manual typewriter
Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Short Answer

In the U. S. CB radios operate in the high frequency (HF) range and Tech license HAM operators will most likely be operating in the 2 meter very high frequency (VHF) range. The two bands are not compatible and will require separate radios (transceivers) and antennas. I don't know if that is true in Canada, but I think there would be similar regulations.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Two antennas and two transceivers. I have a CB and a 2m/70cm HAM in my JK right now. It took some creative thinking and a while to find a way to fit both of those. Note with a HAM you will most likely need an external speaker mounted somewhere.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Get a Yaesu 857D and do the Mars cap mod. You then can program the CB frequencies into it as well as the gmrs frequencies. Use a Yaesu Atas 120 antenna which covers 40 meters thru 70cm which auto tunes off of the 857 radio. You then will have 1 radio and 1 antenna to cover all. That's my setup. Plus you can mount the radio base in the rear and have the head unit up front. I have the baofeng and woxoun as well a Yaesu ft 817, 857, and a 897 All 3 of the Yaesus can cover the the hf-uhf frequencies. The 817 is a 5 watt backpack unit, the 857 is a mobile 100 watt and the 897 is a mobile/base battery powered 100w unit. You ft what you pay for, go for the Yaesu, eBay 500-700 for the radio. 200-350 for the antenna plus another 75 for the Diamond MX 62 duplexer to combine it all for the 1 antenna to cover it

Last edited by David Manley; 10-04-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blackjeep54304
You will need two antennas to use for CB and ham. I don't think that there is a radio that you can use for CB & ham. CB is AM & most ham bands that are popular with mobile users use FM. I may be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure you'll need two transceivers and 2 antennas.

Sent from my manual typewriter
Not that I would recommend it but there are several Ham radios that can be modified to work on 11 meters (CB). You would still need two (2) antennae.

Quick Reply: CB/Ham mobile antenna