Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Interfering with Dash

Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Interfering with Dash

Installed a Cobra 19 CB in my 07 Wrangler Rubicon.

Originally it was wired directly to the battery. When I keyed the mike, the dash lights would come on and would chime.

We switched it to the fuse box with a fuse tap. Now it messes the dash up intermittently.

Any ideas how to fix this.

Video clip: http://youtu.be/Z-y38TIddOg
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#####

Last edited by genesbro; 03-31-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the Quadratec power connect that ties into the power outlet at the bottom of the dash. I've had no RF interference.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem is usually caused by 1) bad SWR, or 2) faulty coax, or 3) placement of the CB adjacent to the Jeeps ECU. If it were me, I'd start by checking the SWR.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

So I have spent weeks searching this issue and i have finally found a solution to this ridiculous problem. So if you have and after market headunit you are most likely using this harness to connect it to your jeep Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

This unit is completely susceptible to the 10m and 20m frequency range and when the mic is keyed that is what the cb radio puts out. It basically causes the unit to reboot itself and if you do that when that car is on it freaks the hell out. so the way i fixed mine was just by replacing the unit with iDatalink maestro RR.

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module Connect a new stereo and retain the steering wheel audio controls and factory amps in select 2006-up Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW vehicles at Crutchfield.com

That should fix all of your problem man.
Good Luck
-Mike
Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xyb0rg
So I have spent weeks searching this issue and i have finally found a solution to this ridiculous problem. So if you have and after market headunit you are most likely using this harness to connect it to your jeep Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

This unit is completely susceptible to the 10m and 20m frequency range and when the mic is keyed that is what the cb radio puts out. It basically causes the unit to reboot itself and if you do that when that car is on it freaks the hell out. so the way i fixed mine was just by replacing the unit with iDatalink maestro RR.

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module Connect a new stereo and retain the steering wheel audio controls and factory amps in select 2006-up Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW vehicles at Crutchfield.com

That should fix all of your problem man.
Good Luck
-Mike
This is something that needs to be in a sticky somewhere, good find!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I had the same similar problem. I have a 12 JK Sahara and mounted my Cobra 29LX on the passenger side next to the shifter. I ran my power to the battery, and the coax straight back on the passenger side to the tailgate where my mount was on my factory carrier (later replaced by a Genright swing out carrier and butt plate). Every time I would key my mic all my dash lights would reset and my aftermarket Kenwood DDX-370 would reset as well. I played with this thing for months and couldn't figure it out. I was on the phone with Firestick (I tried it with 2 3ft, 2 4ft and a 5ft), Cobra and even a few CB places both local and online and none could figure it out. I even sent the unit back to Cobra and they replaced it. So after all this, mind you I got my unit the week after Christmas and now it's April, I was still searching forums to get an answer. I finally came across a possible fix in a ferrite choke. It is literally small rectangle box (about 1" long and 1/2" tall and 1/2" wide). I looked and Radio Shack had them for $1.20 so I figured what the hell, I may as well go there and try it. So I bought the 2 that they had. I connected it to right where the Mini 8 comes out of the CB and BAM! No more problem! So for the better part of 3.5 to 4 months it was a $1.20 fix but nobody could figure it out. So in the end if you have RF leaking ridiculously inside of your jeep and can't figure it out try that fix first, it may be the answer instead of swapping head-units, cables, moving power, etc. etc..

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
This is something that needs to be in a sticky somewhere, good find!

Quick Reply: CB Interfering with Dash