Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Questions: Do I really need one?

Old 05-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only issue with a hand held, is that like a cell phone, they always manage to drop out of reach when you need to use it. With a hard wired radio, you still may be able to grab the cord for the mic instead of stopping everything and getting out of your rig to fetch your radio.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

CB radio is the de facto standard for off road travel. If you're going to wheel with others, they likely have one. You will really feel left out if you do not.

I agree to not count on one for emergency comms. It may or may not work, depending on too many factors to go into here. That doesn't mean don't try it in an emergency. It means have a good plan B for if it doesn't get you needed help.

Built-in. Handheld is a pain in the rear. I carry a handheld for use by a spotter/photographer, and as a back-up to the built-in. I cuss it every time my antenna gets whipped around by trees or washboard roads and stops working. Handheld radio while driving sucks.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
My only issue with a hand held, is that like a cell phone, they always manage to drop out of reach when you need to use it. With a hard wired radio, you still may be able to grab the cord for the mic instead of stopping everything and getting out of your rig to fetch your radio.
My write up and instillation fixes those issues. I will probably not use mine as a handheld unless spotting. And I don't even pack the battery packs usually. But to each their own.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TacomanBJK12
So im planing a trip with 2 other buddies to go off roading and camping at Padre Island National Seashore here in Texas. Theres really no cell service there so I would imagine the only way to commucate for emergencies would be to get a CB radio. Just some questions like how do I use the thing? Do I really need it? What is everyones opinion on the Midland 75-822 I would be hooking up an exteral antenna for the record. Whats everyones opinion on CB radios? I am going to be on the road for about 3 hours going from San Antonio to North Padre Island close to Corpus Christi. Any other useful advice would help thanks!

I have that same handheld CB. In my opinion that is the way to go for a first step. Have a small handheld to use on the trail and to comply with clubs that require one. If you want to communicate in an emergency though where/if there is no cellular service, then HAM is the way to go. The big difference between HAM and CB is that HAM radio lets you communicate in many different ways and around the globe, where CB is only useful on the trail and, in my experience, only for a VERY limited distance maybe 1 mile or so.

Technically HAM includes the CB radio frequencies and modulation, but also covers the majority of the High Frequency, VHF and UHF RF spectrum. CB is limited to 4 watts of power in transmit mode and HAM is limited to 2000 watts (I think). CB lets you talk to truckers on the highway, HAM lets you bounce your signal off the moon and back to the other side of the globe. CB lets you talk on 40 channels, ham lets you talk to the space station (ok, I never actually did that).

If you are on the trail you can use your handheld CB to talk to your friends. The remote antenna is not needed as far as I am concerned. But when a real disaster strikes and your cell phone is dead and the CB only lets you communicate with your next door neighbor, you can use the HAM to talk to anyone around the globe....
Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much concur with the post above;

The Amateur Radio (HAM) guys will always put down the CB. It's weak 4watts legally, and may reach 7-10 miles with a good setup. However they do have their place as some have stated. I find, it has a good entertainment factor at times. Our local club uses ch4, so if we see a fellow club member we just turn it on and talk to that guy. Get a cheap hand held for your trip (pawn shop or even borrow one), and if you like it, do some research and get one. If you really like it, find a amateur Radio club and check that out.

There's nothing like camping, and putting up a quick antenna and communicating with someone hundreds of miles away.

Last edited by Rayster; 07-08-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: CB Questions: Do I really need one?