Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Wiring Question

Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default CB Wiring Question

Ok, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to wiring. I'm wiring my Uniden 980 today, and although the wiring says to go straight to the battery, I'm thinking I'd rather have it so that it only works with the ignition on or in accessory mode. How would I wire it to the fuse box to get that, or is that not the best way to go? I've already got the wires run through the firewall. I have to extend them about a foot or two to get to the battery or fuse box, so that's no big deal.

Then again, maybe I keep it simple and just go to the battery.

Suggestions and advice are welcome! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with having it switched. Just personal preferences. Theres a few ways of doing this. If your not using your cigarette lighter port for anything splice behind it. Or use that same source to trigger a relay. Or use this Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-15 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 02-08-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DKehler
Nothing wrong with having it switched. Just personal preferences. Theres a few ways of doing this. If your not using your cigarette lighter port for anything splice behind it. Or use that same source to trigger a relay. Or use this Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-15 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
If you don't want to as mentioned above you could always use a fuse tap and tap into one of the switched accessories in your fuse box. Here is an example...

Add-A-Fuse Mini/ATM Fuse Tap

They carry these at most your local auto parts stores, as well as Wal Mart and elsewhere. I used one of these to activate the relay for my OBA setup. The lead runs out of the fuse box though, so you have to notch the box a little to allow room for the wire to get out. Easily done with a utility blade or Dremel or something.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or a tap-a-fuse from the TIPM.

I was typing at the same time, Chris...lol
Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Multiple ways to wire to switched power as you can see, but to step back, I thought I'd read in several places that wiring directly to the battery was preferable due to the potential for some interference or 'whine' in the CB audio if you go the switched route. I wired mine directly to the battery because of that theory. Sometimes it's annoying that it can stay on while the ignition is off, but I only use the CB off-road anyway, and I tend to remember to turn it off as I transition to on-road, like airing back up, etc. Just thinking out loud.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the options! I never heard the interference deal, but my cautious nature may make me lean that way.

I can't wait to get this thing fired up! I've got to go and pick up a long antenna cable, then I'll be ready to go. What gauge is the wiring from a Uniden CB? I've got to extend it by a foot or so, to get to the battery or the fuse terminal.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

No idea but you should be able to just match it up visually since you're only adding a foot.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Or a tap-a-fuse from the TIPM.

I was typing at the same time, Chris...lol
Too funny. Those look like the exact pics from the write-up I used when installing my OBA. Was too lazy to dig the pics up. Good on you.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmwil
Wow, thanks for all the options! I never heard the interference deal, but my cautious nature may make me lean that way.

I can't wait to get this thing fired up! I've got to go and pick up a long antenna cable, then I'll be ready to go. What gauge is the wiring from a Uniden CB? I've got to extend it by a foot or so, to get to the battery or the fuse terminal.
You should check the specs in your manual if you want to know for certain, but my Uniden Pro 520XL has a max amp draw of 1.7 amps. According to the wire gauge calculator I just googled, 18 gauge is plenty safe in my application. Google your radio model and download the manual real quick if you don't have the hard copy still.

It can be a little tricky to match wires up visually since they often times have different sized protective coating. I've seen two wires that appear to be the same gauge, but when you look at the copper wire itself, it was obvious that one was a thicker gauge while the other just had more coating around it. I'm not referring to this case in particular, because he's only talking about adding a foot, which is nothing really. I'm just saying in general.

Last edited by smittycm; 02-08-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

I agree, Chris. I don't judge by the casing, I compare the internal stranded. That's what is important.

Quick Reply: CB Wiring Question