Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 29 lx antenna issues

Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your antenna took some good wacks, its possible your mount may be loose.
I'd suggest checking the whole run from the radio to the antenna and see itf anything is loose.
Just a thought.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Wait Warning

Hey everyone,
I also have the Cobra 29LX. However, I have no issues with the antenna warning light. Rather I receive the message Antenna Wait sometimes. Causing my transmission to cut in and out. I run a Wilson T2000 with a Wilson gumdrop mount. My antenna is mounted directly to my tire carrier with a bracket. I have performed the appropriate SWR tunes and my CB pass all the test. However, as I said I have problems with an Antenna Wait message at random times. Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated, I read the owners manual and there was nothing in the manual about the radio giving this message.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chief-JK
Hey everyone, I also have the Cobra 29LX. However, I have no issues with the antenna warning light. Rather I receive the message Antenna Wait sometimes. Causing my transmission to cut in and out. I run a Wilson T2000 with a Wilson gumdrop mount. My antenna is mounted directly to my tire carrier with a bracket. I have performed the appropriate SWR tunes and my CB pass all the test. However, as I said I have problems with an Antenna Wait message at random times. Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated, I read the owners manual and there was nothing in the manual about the radio giving this message.
Can you grab a picture of this warning being displayed?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cobra 29 LX Antenna Issue

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Can you grab a picture of this warning being displayed?
I just went out and tried to replicate the issue, and I could not at the moment. When the message occurs it always seems to be when i'am in convoy with fellow CB'rs. The message states "Antenna Wait" and it flashes until it finally says "Transmitting" again. However, it does at random without rhyme or reason. Sometimes it never happens, and sometimes its rather consistent. What I have come to the conclusion is that it happens on the lower channels (channel 3 to be exact) and when attempting to communicate with fellow Jeeps running firesticks. I don't know, and don't believe that that could have any effect on anything, but that is all I have determined on the issue. Would it be logical to attempt redoing my antenna ground? Could it also be an issue with my radio ground? I've done a lot of wiring in the past, and its grounded to the frame in a suitable location, so no issue should arise there.

Thanks for the quick response, and thank you in advance for any aid you can provide.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm at a complete loss at what this message is trying to indicate.

Doing some searching has turned up nothing. Sorry :/
Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

antenna itself is not grounded... the mount base has to be.

the spot where you screw the antenna to the base, that is NOT grounded. (i.e. the shaft of the antenna is NOT grounded.)

the mount base is grounded. there should be a plastic washer that isolates the center hole for the antenna from the bumper/ground.

here is a pic:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...stions-158490/

also here:

http://www.wearecb.com/testing-cb-antenna-ground.html

you really should use a meter to check that the base is grounded well but that the antenna hole is 100% isolated from ground.

this should be done before you turn the radio on before you attach the antenna. if you dont you can permanently damage the radio. you can also permanently damage the radio running with no antenna at all.

Last edited by crawldad; 02-08-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Listen to crawldad. That is the problem. I had the same issue. You may need to drill out the mounting hole a bit, I did and my SWR went from over 3 to 1.1.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Does anyone actually know what this specific warning means?

Before you start making adjustments, use a proper SWR meter attached to the radio end of the coax and see where you stand.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Antenna Wait Warning

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Does anyone actually know what this specific warning means?

Before you start making adjustments, use a proper SWR meter attached to the radio end of the coax and see where you stand.
Before I even began utilizing the radio I did a proper SWR adjustment. The SWR is actually perfectly in tune, so that shouldn't be the source of my issue. However, I' am in the process of re-grounding the antenna. It will be a little while before I post the success/fail of the issue. Only because it occurs at random occurrences haha.
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My set up is a cobra 29 lxt mounted to the side of my center console and a 4' firestik on cool tech license plate mount.

I was getting an occasional "antenna warning" and also an occasional "antenna fail" with a RF output fail when running through the diagnostic radio check. If you google this issue, there is some talk of it in forums and there is a known issue with the radio throwing this code. My radio is a couple of years old so I decided to take it down to a local CB shop. The guy was super nice, he checked the swr and ohms the readings and said the antenna was basically good as it gets. It looks like my antenna plug on the back of the radio may have been touching part of my mount causing the intermittent message, he suggested getting a 90 degree elbow plug.
Took the radio in the shop checked the output, everything was normal, peaked at 5 watts. For $20 he "cleaned" the motherboard and now it is peaking at 15 watts.

After messing with it on a forest trail run with fellow jeeper I'm not getting the warning/error messages.

Quick Reply: Cobra 29 lx antenna issues