Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75 tricks for extended range

Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the information gents. Well, my old CB mount will not work with the teraflex HD hinge, so I'm back to the drawing board. The accessory mount is on the rear passenger side of the jeep. I need some options for mounting a 2' firestick, or if there is a better set up all together. Do any of you use the front mount under the hood set up? If so, how does it work and what model/brand did you go with?

thanks,

B-
Old 04-28-2015, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Thanks for all the information gents. Well, my old CB mount will not work with the teraflex HD hinge, so I'm back to the drawing board. The accessory mount is on the rear passenger side of the jeep. I need some options for mounting a 2' firestick, or if there is a better set up all together. Do any of you use the front mount under the hood set up? If so, how does it work and what model/brand did you go with?

thanks,

B-
This looks like a good mount and location that may solve your problem.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...erence-320889/
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was searching google for reviews of this radio and came across a video review that did show how to increase the modulation to get more power out of it, up to around 10 watts, if I remember correctly by simply adjusting a non-limited pot inside the unit. It did mention a high probability of failure doing this due to heat though.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by mwtrent
I was searching google for reviews of this radio and came across a video review that did show how to increase the modulation to get more power out of it, up to around 10 watts, if I remember correctly by simply adjusting a non-limited pot inside the unit. It did mention a high probability of failure doing this due to heat though.
Just remember too that if I recall correctly, anything over 5 watts you need to be licensed.

Last edited by DJ1; 05-03-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i have a 2 foot firestk

and i also have a 3 foot for if i need to get out further on a trip , but for most part 2 foot firestik is all i use mine works great for my needs . Mine even rests against a rack on mine still get great readings and swr
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193 (2).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	612653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2444 (2).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	612655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2404 (2).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	612657  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-28-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here at radio ready in New jersey we've been having good luck with the hustler top load antenna (4') and 18' coax on the jk's we usually just sip the antenna mount into the tail gate with self tapping screws or we also have a made a bracket that ties into the oem tire carrier bolts.

also a tuned antenna works wonders
Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
For best transmission results (and it won't improve your existing range much):
1. Use a 4' antenna with at least 1/3rd of it above your top.
2. Ground the antenna mount.
3. Read the antenna tuning directions again. Tune the antenna to get the SWR under 1.0 if possible on channels 1, 20 and 40.
4. Make sure the Hand Set Sound Tracker (ST) feature is turned on.
Good points. However, it is not possible to have a SWR of less than 1.0. SWR is defined as a ratio of the impedance matching between the antenna and the transmission line (cable). An impedance of 1.0 is the same as saying that the match is exactly 1 to 1 or a perfect match.

Most inexpensive handheld SWR meters only measure the forward and reflected power where you connect it. They are not that accurate and may be giving you a false reading if it is less than 1.0.

I just didn't want others to spend a lot of effort to try and get a SWR of less than 1.0.

Quick Reply: Cobra 75 tricks for extended range