Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cutting into the Dash For a CB

Old 04-05-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cutting into the Dash For a CB

So I finally broke down and wanted to mount my CB into my dash. So I had Fun cutting into the dash with a Rotary cutter. First I took the Cowl off of the Jeep and then I used painters tape for the template.

It actually came out petty good. I'm happy with the install. Please tell me what you think.

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	642905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	642906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash CB.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	642907  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 06-04-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

55 views and no remarks. What does that say to you about what people think ? I think if they loved the idea of you cutting in a Chinese made cheap C/B( no one uses them, go straight to ham) into the dashboard, they would have said so. Sorry, I'm with the rest !
Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your Jeep so if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. I'm not into cutting in to dash or permanent alterations like that in mine at this point, give it a couple more years and payments and I'm sure I'll change my tune. Curious though how that antenna mounting position is. I had a fender mount when I first got my CB for better reception but after a couple months of it just in my sight line it drove me nuts till I moved it to the rear gate.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:37 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the antenna wipe against the windscreen when offroad?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

At the end of the day, it's your jeep. I personally don't like it but at least the bezel is easily replaced if you change your mind. People gave me crap for this too:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2278848152.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	642940  
Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 AM
JK Newbie

Looks good! Nice job! 👍🏻

Sent from my manual typewriter
Old 04-06-2016, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FailRatedJK
At the end of the day, it's your jeep. I personally don't like it but at least the bezel is easily replaced if you change your mind. People gave me crap for this too:
You are right. That portion of the dash is held on by 4 bolts. If I want to bring it back to stock it's as easy as ordering the part and slapping it in.

I find it funny that people want aftermarket stuff but don't want to do any drilling or cutting. It's a Jeep not the Monalisa painting. Drill, cut and weld. In the end it's just a vehicle.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno
55 views and no remarks. What does that say to you about what people think ? I think if they loved the idea of you cutting in a Chinese made cheap C/B( no one uses them, go straight to ham) into the dashboard, they would have said so. Sorry, I'm with the rest !
Ham is big out here in the mountains but back East everyone uses CB.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FailRatedJK
My Wife would have killed me If I have mounted it there. She already complains about the lack of space in the Jeep, All I need is to take more space up.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

Lol me and the wife were separated when I put it there. My original thought was "if they don't like the legroom, they can walk" but I may go overhead console soon and if I'm really worried about the 2 holes I drilled here smittybuult makes a steel lock box replacement.

Quick Reply: Cutting into the Dash For a CB