Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

In-Dash CB install

Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JW JK
If I remember right there is not a lot of room under there. Is full of wires and ductwork.

Sent from my rotary dial phone using JK-Forum
No there's not I remember from when I installed my clineometer
Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im bringing this back, what did you guys use for install instructions? Just ordered the Cobra WXST and now need to order the double din kit, firestick antenna kit (idk which), antenna mount (idk which) and the mic mount. Will the Veramount work with this CB mic and the double din setup?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So today I started building my new HU and CB mount today. Its similar to this install, however the CB unit I wanted to install was larger than a single Din, so I have to fully customize the install.

I purchased a replacement dash bezel and all the material I would need to mold the dash so its done correctly. It would be so easy to just shove it in there, but my OCD would never be able to handle it... lol

I purchased a few things to make it easier. I've done this type of work many times, but if there is something that can be purchased to make the build easier... I'll take it. These builds take long enough as it is, no sense dragging it out to save a couple of bucks.

So I bought the Metra Double Din dash kit, which is just a couple of brackets really... which I honestly cut up into 4 pieces. I molded 2 to the front portion of the dash bezel. I molded them to the bezel by welding them to the it. Both the stock bezel and the Metra parts are ABS plastic. So I can weld them together pretty easy. I used the other 2 brackets to mount the Alpine HU and the CB together.

I'm removing my stock head unit and will be installing the Alpine and my CB in the dash.

So far I've managed to mold the dash and mount the units together. The next day the weather is better I can do the finish work on it , as its still a little rough and paint it. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow... but for now these will have to do...

Last edited by darkknight1999; 03-10-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default CRE-8900 DIN MOUNT Ham/CB Radio

Just purchased a CRE-8900 10 Meter (Amateur-General FCC license required) / 11 Meter (CB Band) radio. Great radio for mounting in these tight spaces..and even has a DIN mounting sleeve available for it. If for some reason the heatsink on the radio interferes (specs say total depth is 215mm or 8.47 inches)...then I'll probably go with the Crutchfield Universal Single DIN mount and mount on top of the dash.

Link to purchase radio: Cre 8900 Am FM USB LSB CW 10 Meter Radio"New" Free Data Cable | eBay

Note that you must have at a "General" or "Extra" Amateur Radio license to transmit on the 10-Meter Band. Enabling 11 Meter CB band on this radio is super easy, via front panel programming, with instructions on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cre.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	550584   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	550588  
Attached Images  

Last edited by tkdsensei; 05-04-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

I know this is a few years old but I am in the process of doing this to our 07' JKU. Do you have any photos of your finished product. I'm using a Pioneer H/U and a Cobra WXSTII.

J

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
So today I started building my new HU and CB mount today. Its similar to this install, however the CB unit I wanted to install was larger than a single Din, so I have to fully customize the install.

I purchased a replacement dash bezel and all the material I would need to mold the dash so its done correctly. It would be so easy to just shove it in there, but my OCD would never be able to handle it... lol

I purchased a few things to make it easier. I've done this type of work many times, but if there is something that can be purchased to make the build easier... I'll take it. These builds take long enough as it is, no sense dragging it out to save a couple of bucks.

So I bought the Metra Double Din dash kit, which is just a couple of brackets really... which I honestly cut up into 4 pieces. I molded 2 to the front portion of the dash bezel. I molded them to the bezel by welding them to the it. Both the stock bezel and the Metra parts are ABS plastic. So I can weld them together pretty easy. I used the other 2 brackets to mount the Alpine HU and the CB together.

I'm removing my stock head unit and will be installing the Alpine and my CB in the dash.

So far I've managed to mold the dash and mount the units together. The next day the weather is better I can do the finish work on it , as its still a little rough and paint it. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow... but for now these will have to do...

Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts