Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

EVO JK antenna mount (drivers side) with a Teraflex HD hinge and stock tire carrier

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EVO JK antenna mount (drivers side) with a Teraflex HD hinge and stock tire carrier

As titled, i'm inquiring if anyone has tried this combination before. What i've run into is I upgraded my hinge to the Teraflex HD set up, and also went with the accessory mount for my high lift. The problem is that the antenna mount on the accessory puts the antenna too close to the high lift, maxing out the SWR meter. My solution is to mount it on the other side of the tire carrier. I'm wondering if the EVO drivers side mount will work with this combination. I'm open to other drivers side solutions as well.

thanks!

B-
Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

FYI, i've posed this question to Teraflex directly on their website, and i've not yet received a response. I will be amazed if this is the first time they have heard of this, unless i'm the only person on the planet that actually takes their high lift with them, and has an HD hinge.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Teraflex was zero help. The responded promptly, but basically the fella Jacob said he's running the exact set up I am and his cb meters fine. I told him the jack was causing it as when I remove the Jack it metered fine. He assured me that with the HD hinge it grounds good to the frame and recommended I take it to a cb shop. Wtf?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Arizona Rocky Road mounts (http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/). I think his regular mount is on the passenger side, but the owner can fab you up one for the driver's side (I have mounts on either side for my cb and ham). The antenna base is up around the third brake light, so it'll put more of your antenna above the top of high lift jack.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Nice! Thanks man. I'll hit him up
Old 04-27-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

I think they're great mounts and I'm really happy with them. Since the base of the antenna sits up high (it's about even with a 33" tire on the stock tailgate carrier), it puts more of the antenna above the roof line so you get a better signal on both your transmit and receive. With the mounts like the EVO one you were looking at, more of the antenna is between the spare tire and the tailgate and the portion of your transmit signal for that part of the antenna just bounces around between the two and doesn't go anywhere. The only thing you need to watch out for is clearance in a garage. Even a 2' cb antenna will hit if the clearance is 6' 10" or less, so you'll either need a quick disconnect, spring, or flexible antenna.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Don't get me wrong, I love the mount. The issue is when the hi lift is mounted up. I have no choice but to move the antenna some where else. I'm going to try and flip my RR mount this afternoon and see if it will work on the other side. if not, i'll have to order the EVO one.

Originally Posted by MB_Pathfinder
I think they're great mounts and I'm really happy with them. Since the base of the antenna sits up high (it's about even with a 33" tire on the stock tailgate carrier), it puts more of the antenna above the roof line so you get a better signal on both your transmit and receive. With the mounts like the EVO one you were looking at, more of the antenna is between the spare tire and the tailgate and the portion of your transmit signal for that part of the antenna just bounces around between the two and doesn't go anywhere. The only thing you need to watch out for is clearance in a garage. Even a 2' cb antenna will hit if the clearance is 6' 10" or less, so you'll either need a quick disconnect, spring, or flexible antenna.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

I had a better look at things a few minutes ago, and I can actually use the RR mount on the same side and it still gets the antenna a foot or better from the high lift. I figure that should be a good plenty. Only issue is I have to shim the piss out of it with washers to clear the HD hinge. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see what happens. I'll report back and take pics.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I had a better look at things a few minutes ago, and I can actually use the RR mount on the same side and it still gets the antenna a foot or better from the high lift. I figure that should be a good plenty. Only issue is I have to shim the piss out of it with washers to clear the HD hinge. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see what happens. I'll report back and take pics.
~12" away from your high lift should be far enough away to drastically cut any interference (if not eliminate it all together). Shiming the mount is fine, just make sure you have a good grounding connection.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

OK, 10-4. I'm going to use all Stainless hardware on the mount, and hopefully everything will ground out good.

Originally Posted by MB_Pathfinder
~12" away from your high lift should be far enough away to drastically cut any interference (if not eliminate it all together). Shiming the mount is fine, just make sure you have a good grounding connection.

Quick Reply: EVO JK antenna mount (drivers side) with a Teraflex HD hinge and stock tire carrier