Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM radio mount...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAM radio mount...

I wanted to show you how I mounted my Kenwood D710 APRS radio... I wanted a clean install and a good place to hide the box. I will be mounting my AvMap G6 on top of the center of the dash. (more pics to follow)
The hardest part was the RJ45 MIC connection... but it is pretty much hidden under the stereo radio ledge. There is very little room under that part and had to be re-positioned since the Stereo system mount is so close to the side.
Also... I used the desk top mount for the HAM radio, rather than the mobile mount.
So far so good... all set up... but now found the antenna is bad and have to get another... LOL more pics to follow on that as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00164.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	310896   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00171.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	310897  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Nice setup, I'd probably put the head unit mount the same way but above the top buttons of the radio so it doesn't block any of them. I loved my d700a when I had it. I'm sure the 710 is a nice upgrade.

I'll be soon trying to figure out which ham radio to get for my JK and how to mount it.

73's
Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lifecast
Nice setup, I'd probably put the head unit mount the same way but above the top buttons of the radio so it doesn't block any of them. I loved my d700a when I had it. I'm sure the 710 is a nice upgrade.

I'll be soon trying to figure out which ham radio to get for my JK and how to mount it.

73's
Thanks... I thought of mounting higher... but it seemed so good right there! For some strange reason we don't use the stereo much on trips... (I am sure if it was NOT there we would miss it tho!) Also the buttons for the stereo can be reached, barely... but the 710 comes right off if we want to use the radio.

With the 710... it should be mounted within easy eyesight! With the APRS always showing who is nearby, who is sending a beacon... and whether or not they are beaconing their frequency they are monitoring... kinda need to be as high as possible for the eyes to glance at it easily. I had thought of mounting it right in front of the steering wheel on top of the dash... did not look very good there and actually may have been easy to bump it while handling the steering wheel. (but it would have been very easy to read it there).
I had a problem with the antenna... swr's were pretty high. I had to take apart my mount and was going to clean it and put it back together until I realized that the type of antenna and mount I had (3/8 24 stud) was very low rated on "eham", I think one of them had a 2.0 out of 5.
So i ordered a sg7900 and figured a new way to mount it. Had to do some fabricating there! I have a spare tire mount... that I extended with a 12 inch by 1/2 threaded rod, to raise the antenna above the spare tire and the tub, very sturdy,,, no movement... with a plate on top for the antenna mount. I will put pics up when finished.
Now once the antenna comes in... you should be able to see me on APRS.FI.
Ralph

Quick Reply: HAM radio mount...