Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Finding Appropriate CB Power

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Yea I really doubt you will run your battery dead by leaving the CB on by mistake... but I could be wrong
I would agree.... since I have left my HAM radio on for 8-9 hrs when going into work..
it draws very little when not in use. transmitting use... that is.

I have both CB and HAM radios directly to the battery so I have to turned them off...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
JK Newbie

Positive to the battery and used one of the bolts on the firewall behind A/C vents for the negative. You don't want to use the ignition because your channels will reset everytime you turn off you jeep and you will get more interferes.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah my sellsman at the Jeep dealership told me to go straight from the battery on the JK, He's also the AEV dealer in the area and his personal vehicle was a Brute that he built so I believed him and haven't had a problem. I've found my CB on a time or two and don't know how long it was on before I discovered it and havn't had a dead battery yet.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the support!!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveOn
Very true, thank you for your help pal
Anytime, let us know how you make out.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
I would agree.... since I have left my HAM radio on for 8-9 hrs when going into work..
it draws very little when not in use. transmitting use... that is.

I have both CB and HAM radios directly to the battery so I have to turned them off...
I'm gonna be running power this weekend for both a cobra 75 and a Yaesu ft-1900r. I was thinking I should just run connection from the battery one time to a power distribution block and then connecting the power leads for both radios to the distribution block. Is there ANY reason this would be a bad idea?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Angry_fisherman,

No problem at all and it will be a clean and neat set-up.

Last edited by MCwired; 04-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
Run it straight to the battery. You are better off all around. Be sure to out a fuse in your red wire somewhere very close to the battery.

Remove your passenger side dash panel. Look it up. It's easy. There is a little foam filled hole near the passenger door that will make perfect access to the battery. Get creative from that point forward. With the dash off, you have lots of options when running your wire.
EXACTLY what I was looking for... THANKS!
I am installing a Kenwood TM-d710 APRS radio some time next week, I was looking for the best (easiest) pass thru for wires to the battery! I am not sure as of yet where I am gonna mount the body of the radio... but the faceplate should go on the center of the dash. The dash cover there, is easy to remove and work with.
By any chance are you aware of any engine/ignition noise problems with the 09' JK?

Thanks
Ralph KG4ADQ
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have left my ham scanning and my CB on overnight, well over 12 hours. There were no problems. I imagine it would take days to empty a good battery only by leaving radios on. Now, transmitting is a different story.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Angry_Fisherman
I'm gonna be running power this weekend for both a cobra 75 and a Yaesu ft-1900r. I was thinking I should just run connection from the battery one time to a power distribution block and then connecting the power leads for both radios to the distribution block. Is there ANY reason this would be a bad idea?
Just read this... sorry for the delay.
That's what I did.. I also added a 40A fuse to each battery terminal before running to the distribution block... just for an added safety measures. Radios have there own fuses of course.

73's

Quick Reply: Finding Appropriate CB Power