Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Gobi Roof Rack...Where Do I Mount CB Antenna

Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi Roof Rack...Where Do I Mount CB Antenna

I am adding a Gobi roof rack...where do I mount my 4' CB antenna? Anyone know if the Cool Tech license plate mount will work with the rack tilt back feature? Cool Tech LLC. JK Ultamount CB Antenna System Wondering too if there is there a place it can be mounted on the rack (one of the rear side supports)?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmike17
I am adding a Gobi roof rack...where do I mount my 4' CB antenna? Anyone know if the Cool Tech license plate mount will work with the rack tilt back feature? Cool Tech LLC. JK Ultamount CB Antenna System Wondering too if there is there a place it can be mounted on the rack (one of the rear side supports)?
I'm not familiar with the details of the rack but I'm sure you can find an antenna mount that will clamp onto a rail. It may be something you will have to piece together yourself. Try searching a radio parts website. Some may get into efficiency/bonding with this location choice but there aren't many good options on a JK.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never really looked to connect my antenna to my Gobi rack and I did not like the position of the Cool Tech license plate mount. The dislike I have for the antenna license plate mount is that it does not look very strong to me. Second the license plate bracket itself is easily damaged offroad, so why would you want to add more stuff to it? Third, with the Gobi rack on my kids always seem to use the license plate bracket as a step to get on and off the ladder (BTW the bracket is not a good step since it is just plastic held on by 4 skinny screws.)

I have the other Cool Tech mount that goes by the tire carrier. I also use a quick disconnet on the antenna. That way I don't have to have it connected all the time. (The antenna doesn't fit in my garage attached... I found that out the hard way when I forgot to take it off after a wheeling trip.)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM
RWJ
JK Newbie

I have the gobi and my kids have used the license plate bracket as a step. It finally broke and I now have the license on the rear tire ad I removed the stock license plate holder and filled the hole with a plug that you can buy. It turned out great. My license plate has the required light and an additional brake light on it. I have no experience with the antenna.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the good info/feedback. I like the quick disconnect idea...never thought of that. And for the two replies in the license plate mount being used as a step...glad you told me before I found out the hard way when my kids start climbing all over it!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I understand what you were asking about the rack/compatibility now. Yep... quick disconnects!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
Oh, I understand what you were asking about the rack/compatibility now. Yep... quick disconnects!
Thanks - sometimes hard to describe things in writing! I'm probably going that route...just going to research the body mount option I read in another thread...was wanting to avoid drilling holes but that might be another way to go.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

I was going to use a quick disconnect on my ultramounted antenna but my tail light gaurds don't let it clear. Anyone know if the gobi rack tilted back will allow the antenna to remain connected to the Ultramount?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmike17
You could put it on top, if you want max range. I just made this magnet mount today, with Home Depot parts.. Still need some modifications and trimming to look good... I'll test it this weekend in Anza Borrego. It has holes for regular mounting too.

I know it will be a PITA in the woods, so I have another mount for that use (Arizona Rocky Road).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cbb1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	388503   Click image for larger version

Name:	cbb2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	388504   Click image for larger version

Name:	cbb3.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	388505  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took my license plate mount off and put the plug in the hole. Then I just drilled a hole in my bumper about in the same place as my license plate mount was. Put the stud directly in the bumper... easy to ground and the Gobi rack is out of the way. I also then put little foam balls on the antenna to prevent it from hitting my hard top or soft top when I have either on... lastly' on the highway I take a nylon strap and connect it to the top of the antenna and the side of the rack... prevents the antenna from blowing around on the highway a bunch.

Quick Reply: Gobi Roof Rack...Where Do I Mount CB Antenna