Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM/CB radio combo on Amazon

Old 12-08-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
... Modifying a radio that is only FCC type accepted to operate on HAM bands, so that it will operate on non-ham frequencies, is also illegal. ...
Just a minor quibble wherein I could be wrong. But, I don't believe there is any type certification on ham radios, even commercially manufactured ham radios. Hams are licensed to build and operate radios, so it would seem pointless. And, that's one of the really cool things about a ham license: Where as pretty much everyone else can only operate type certified radios, hams are trusted to properly construct and use their gear. But, your ultimate point that the twain shall never meet (ham radios must never be used for any other service except in an emergency) is entirely correct.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Just a minor quibble wherein I could be wrong. But, I don't believe there is any type certification on ham radios, even commercially manufactured ham radios. Hams are licensed to build and operate radios, so it would seem pointless. And, that's one of the really cool things about a ham license: Where as pretty much everyone else can only operate type certified radios, hams are trusted to properly construct and use their gear. But, your ultimate point that the twain shall never meet (ham radios must never be used for any other service except in an emergency) is entirely correct.
You are absolutely correct, quibble or not. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I encourage you to get your ham license you would need to have a General class license in order to use that radio on 10m as a Technician class license only allows Single Side band on 10m which that radio does not do. In all honesty like the AnyTone Smart (https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Smart...=anytone+smart) it is just a CB in disguise. An while I shouldn't condone the use of illegal radios, nobody is going to notice you running 10 watts on CB when there are MANY others running MANY 100s (1000s?) of watts.

If you are using a 102"-108" whip you could likely use it on 10m and 11m however if you are running a short CB antenna it is likely too narrow banded to work.

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I've been looking at different options for radios in my Jeep and have a couple of questions. A couple of years ago I ordered some of the Retevis H-777 radios from Amazon and have been using them for our Jeep trips. After reading the reviews I find out that its actually illegal for me to be using these without a license. I've never had any trouble, but I don't want any either. So I'm considering taking my HAM test and getting all that stuff out of the way. But in the mean time I need to be able to have a CB on board to communicate with those that don't have HAM..

I've been reading the reviews on this unit and someone mentioned that you could have a switch soldered in on the board that would switch the unit from 11 Meter (CB) to 10 Meter (ham)...

Seems like that would be a really handy little radio..

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-APOLL...words=CB+radio

Can someone who understands this stuff better explain to me how this works? Would I use the same antenna for both? I really don't have the room to run a hand-held two way, a CB and Antenna and a HAM with an antenna..
Old 12-14-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Techs still have the old Novice/Tech CW subband at the bottom

Or for that matter, any Novices out there that still haven't upgraded. They still exist, apparently.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Make note...

OP: The radio you linked on Amazon requires modification in order for it to operate on 10M (HAM band).

Taken directly from your linked webpage = "to [sic] remove soldering will change the radio to 25.615-30.105Mhz "
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's useless as a HAM radio, it only supports AM/FM, no one really uses 10m AM/FM these days, most 10m users use SSB or CW.

It's just another crappy export radio.

Something like the Anytone 5555N would be better if you truly wanted something that would work 10/11m properly (still not legally lol), it's actually a decent radio.

Quick Reply: HAM/CB radio combo on Amazon