Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM OP Roll Call......

Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sked???

Originally Posted by cyberuss
Russ/KA7MPX for the last 27 years. Hold a general class ticket and have know the guy that started this thread for years.......73's
Hi Russ......glad to see you made it. Like I said earlier in the thread, if anybody would like to sked, don't hesitate to post here or PM me.
73 from the Great White North......
Dave / wl7cmg
Old 01-10-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Just passed my Tech exam this morning. Ran right out to HRO in San Diego and got really confused, so I didn't buy anything. Better do a lot more homework before I start "redistributing my wealth." The examiners said my call sign will be posted to the database in about 10-14 days.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Just passed my Tech exam this morning. Ran right out to HRO in San Diego and got really confused, so I didn't buy anything. Better do a lot more homework before I start "redistributing my wealth." The examiners said my call sign will be posted to the database in about 10-14 days.
Excellent...!!! Congrats and welcome to the HAM Radio Fraternity...!!! Yes, there are SO many radios to choose from. It really depends on what you want to do.....mainly, if you plan on being a Tech for quite awhile then you are "somewhat" limited to what freqs. you can use. So.....a mobile 2 meter rig, or handheld, or a mobile 10m rig is about the cheapest way you can go and get on the air right away.
If you feel that you won't want to stop there and want access to quite a bit more freqs. by upgrading to General class soon, then, depending on how much you want to spend, an all band radio, either mobile or as a base, will get you just about anywhere you are allowed. In this case, and if you are mainly still thinking about mobile ops, then the IC-706 (all versions) as well as the new IC-7000 are a real good way to go. If they are a bit out of your $$$ range new, then look on ebay, QRZ, or Eham for a good deal on a nice used one.
So, take a little time to realistically ask yourself what you feel will interest you the most now, or in the near future. Look at freq. allocations and modes of operations. This should help you decide on a radio that will suit your needs and get you on the air ASAP...!!!
Again....congrats and welcome...!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hello OM. KC2GMH in Alma, NY. On here rather frequently. 73 Mike

Addendum: If anyone interested I monitor our 147.210 repeater which can be brought up anytime via EchoLink. Use the find button and search for KA2AJH-R. Take care & 73...DE:KC2GMH

Last edited by mdantonio; 02-26-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: EchoLink Node
Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

General Class license here - been licensed for about 20 years or so.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Smile Ki6vbq

Here's my callsign: KI6VBQ. Also received my paper license yesterday, one week to the day after I passed the test. Who knew?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scarp
You can be grandfathered in as General class.

KB5AJA General Class here.
Holy Moly! You're right! Just looked up the info. Now I gotta find my original ticket!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ai4w

CALL AI4W
Licensed Extra
Member of AMSAT, FISTS
FCC National Volunteer Examiner Accredited ARRL, W5YI & WCARS
Trustee of KY's first and only D-Star Repeater W4DSI 2Mtr,.70Mtr & 1.2Gig Data

Pat
Lexington Kentucky
MOBILE ICOM IC-7000
High Sierra 1800 Pro
Better RF Antenna Controller
07 JK 4 Door Black Rubicon Soft-Top

Last edited by phayden; 02-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just passed Technician

Hi there.

I just passed my Technician exam this morning in Brownsville, TX. Hopefully I'll get my name in the FCC ULS soon.

ADD: I have now received my new call sign. It is: KE5YZZ

Last edited by TXEMT; 02-03-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi

Just want to say welcome again to all you new Techs.

Another thing that came to mind was this.....and it is from experience....

When you do decide to get a radio and get on the air there is a chance you may get discouraged. Meaning....you may hit your local 2m repeater, give your call and say you are "listening" or "monitoring", only to not have a single person comeback to you. You may try, and try, and try again with the same results. Be patient. There is a good chance the guys that hear you have their own little "click" like many CBers do, and till you've been around for awhile "they" may not "let you in" so to speak.

Then again, one day you may key up the repeater and have a half dozen old timers come right back to you with open arms. The HAM radio fraternity can be kinda "clicky" at times, so please try not to let it bother you.

Also remember, since the FCC dropped the morse code requirement, more and more CBers have gotten into HAM. And many older HAMS feel that this is a real bad thing. The CBers now will be the new 2m people, and will bring their CB "on air bad habits" with them. Most hams don't like this at all. Some are gracious about it, but other old farts, set in their ways, will be mean. It's just the way it is.

My advise to you is.......listen a lot. Listen to HAMS that have been around and have good operating skills. Learn them. A seasoned HAM will be MUCH more inclined to respond to you if he likes what he hears.

As you venture more into the HAM world, you will find that the HF group can be quite a bit different than the VHF group. That's why I incourage you to get your General class license as soon as possible. This will open many "GREAT" doors for you. You will find alot more people that are just as happy with a relaxing ragchew QSO than they are trying to break a pileup to a rare station. To me, this is where the FUN begins.

Anyway....congrats on the new ticket, and by all means HANG IN THERE...!!! You will be glad you did.

All the Best from Alaska.....
Dave / wl7cmg

Quick Reply: HAM OP Roll Call......