Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM RADIO - A 4x4 Introduction For My Little Man

Old 04-06-2014, 02:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HAM RADIO - A 4x4 Introduction For My Little Man

It's time for MY 5 Y/O's introduction to HAM radio!!! I was fascinated by radios as a child and would have loved to have a Dad around to teach me about radio comms and listen to the world around me. Gives a child a sense of perspective and a knowledge and understanding that there's a huge world outside of their tiny living space.
In a week or so an old 1976 Sony ICF-5900 shortwave receiver will arrive from eBay and Daddy and Little Man will surf the waves!!! This receiver is only 8 x 9 inches so doesn't need much space so I'm busy creating a mounting spot for it in the back of the JK. My son loves to go out with me and buy fish and chips from the local chippy. We then go and find a cool spot somewhere, often by a lake, where we sit in the back of the JK and scoff that food straight from the paper it's wrapped in. Now we'll scoff fish and chips and surf some short waves at the same time!! Once learnt it will be time to take our HAM license and the world will get to hear Little Man!! Watch out world!!!

Last edited by UKCRD; 04-16-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

No more mobile HAM enthusiasts on here?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great. My dad bought me a Radio Shack shortwave radio kit when I was around 10. Built the thing myself and had a long wire running out the window to the garage. Took years before I took my tech then general license, which needed lots of Morse practice. None of my kids so far show any interest, but I will be setting up my HF station again after a 10 year hiatus. I think it's great that you are introducing your little guy to radio at an early age.

VE7WYC
Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
That's great. My dad bought me a Radio Shack shortwave radio kit when I was around 10. Built the thing myself and had a long wire running out the window to the garage. Took years before I took my tech then general license, which needed lots of Morse practice. None of my kids so far show any interest, but I will be setting up my HF station again after a 10 year hiatus. I think it's great that you are introducing your little guy to radio at an early age.

VE7WYC
Thanks PG! With the advent of internet radio surfing I wanted to get him into it before it becomes something totally alien. I used to spend hours at not much older than him trying to find stations on an old Sony radio/cassette recorder which looked a lot like the ICF-5900. Hopefully we'll give him some more great memories to look back on and the bonus that I'm really looking forward to using this radio myself!!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 PM
JK Freak

And installed!!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Few more pics of the ICF-5900 in situ plus a couple of the now mounted MLS-200 Yaesu external speaker and Wonderwand Widebander antenna, in waiting for the FT-817ND which will install Tuesday.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks.good. so I am guessing it's only used when you are parked.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Looks.good. so I am guessing it's only used when you are parked.
Exactly. This is our mobile HAM shack. Not for on the move comms! I have the President Harry II mounted up from for that.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

That is awesome. The cupholders are a great touch! Today I will start putting my HF gear together at our cabin. I have a new G5RV going up for my Icom IC745. Have not had time for HF in over 10 years.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Just looked up the FT-817ND. That is a sweet little rig. Just a question, why that one instead of something with more transmit power? I see it has 5 W max transmit.

Quick Reply: HAM RADIO - A 4x4 Introduction For My Little Man