Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HELP Please! Cb radio antenna coax route problem

Old 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Please! Cb radio antenna coax route problem

I currently have my cb installed above my rear view mirror. I also have my antenna mounted on the oem swing gate. My issue is how should I run the antenna coax from the gate into the tub to prevent a kink? Currently it is ran through the cloth tube that the factory tailgate wiring is. I have had it flex and brake the outer shell. Any suggestions as to how you ran yours would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Good question. Mine is run via a similar route, but is physically outside of the cloth sheath. I left a little extra cable in an attempt to deal with the opening and closing of the gate constantly flexing the cable (and wondering if mine would eventually break too).

What type of cable are you using?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

I don't remember the type, but it's a basic cable from flying j with the removable tip(for sleeker installs)
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

I thought about putting a single coil into it so te slack would be pulled from that coil only when the gate is opened(so as not to interfere with signal during cb use) but not sure how well that will work.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

I ran mine through the rubber grommet on the tailgate also. I ran the coax along the tail light wiring, up and inside the roll cage cloth on the right side all the way to the front, then ran it through the windshield molding to the Tuffy overhead console. Worked out great and I have some extra coax left out of 18' so it does not kink. Coax is completely hidden. I got my coax from Walcott CB. Here's the part #. Procomm HS818TNKT

18' Coax w. Removable PL259 and Terminator Stud

• Perfect Choice for Pickup & Off-Road Installations • 18ft CB Coaxial Cable • No-Solder Removable PL259 Connector • Includes Terminator 3/8x24 Antenna Stud

Last edited by CajunTiger; 07-15-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

I was just checking on my non-working CB today and found the same problem (but much worse!) I had the coax run through the tailgate, through the fabric sleeve that the factory wires run through and under the carpet to my CB. I was very pissed to find the cable completely corroded and broken in half INSIDE that fabric sleeve! It's only been one year! I think I'm going to go with the Cooltech license plate mount... We shall see.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

CajunTiger- I take it from what you said, the coax is inside the cloth loom? How is that particular coax holding up to the constant flex from the gate?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Just FYI how my coax is routed. I still expect a similar failure from the constant flexing. This is a relatively new install, so no problems noted yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	478528
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, the cracking primarily occurs in the winter, I'm assuming.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKmod
CajunTiger- I take it from what you said, the coax is inside the cloth loom? How is that particular coax holding up to the constant flex from the gate?
I have enough slack left after running it from above the rearview mirror to the tailgate that it does not pull too much. I have to watch how I swing the tailgate open, but it works fine. That was the only route I could find to have enough slack.

Quick Reply: HELP Please! Cb radio antenna coax route problem