Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep

Old 01-20-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepHog71
Has anyone considered using a windshield light mount and using it for an antenna mount? I'm looking at getting a handheld CB with an external antenna option and I'm thinking about doing this... Thoughts?
I've got a handheld and just use a magnetic mount antenna on the hood for the rare occasions when I use it.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok everyone heres what i am currently doing but would like a little more insight. Im trying to read in here as well so take it easy on me please.

-Mount i will be using for my CB Radio, it will be painted all black ( idea is from another member ).

- Radio will be a Uniden Bearcat 980
- 4' Firestik(R) II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 900 Watts Black FS-4BK
- Firestik R-1a External Locking Quick Disconnect
- Firestik K-4A Stud
- 18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors

-Mount ( Spare Tailgate mount )

How high the antenna is mounted

I would like to know if i should start looking at getting grounding straps for this set up and if so how to go about it the right/easiest way. I appreciate the help everyone.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Ok everyone heres what i am currently doing but would like a little more insight. Im trying to read in here as well so take it easy on me please. -Mount i will be using for my CB Radio, it will be painted all black ( idea is from another member ). - Radio will be a Uniden Bearcat 980 - 4' Firestik(R) II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 900 Watts Black FS-4BK - Firestik R-1a External Locking Quick Disconnect - Firestik K-4A Stud - 18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors -Mount ( Spare Tailgate mount ) How high the antenna is mounted I would like to know if i should start looking at getting grounding straps for this set up and if so how to go about it the right/easiest way. I appreciate the help everyone.
So I first installed my antenna around the read tire. But not being able to get good swr readings I spent hours looking into the whole grounding issue.

what I found out is that it's not an electrical ground but a RF ground which is a totally different ball game. I moved the antenna to the hood location and can send and receive signal much better! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2656995307.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	598200  
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by ODONS
So I first installed my antenna around the read tire. But not being able to get good swr readings I spent hours looking into the whole grounding issue.

what I found out is that it's not an electrical ground but a RF ground which is a totally different ball game. I moved the antenna to the hood location and can send and receive signal much better! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
That's why I didn't even bother doing a rear mount. Too much crap to deal with!

Get the firering cable. It'll make that install look 1000x better my 2 cents
Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
That's why I didn't even bother doing a rear mount. Too much crap to deal with! Get the firering cable. It'll make that install look 1000x better my 2 cents
True! That would look really clean!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, thank you realjeep.
Not sure if you covered this, Can the fiberglass hardtop block a signal? or only metal objects do this?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ronyo
Great thread, thank you realjeep. Not sure if you covered this, Can the fiberglass hardtop block a signal? or only metal objects do this?
My understanding is that the fiberglass top will interfere with the signal, just maybe not as much as a metal roof would. That's why you want as much of your antenna above the roof line as possible.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up, it was a great education, but..... I went with the tire mount (:gasp

Actually works great for my application. It is a clean place to mount and I only need to communicate within the group on the densely wooded trail. The 2" on the tire suffices nicely for that purpose.

I understand the intent of this tread is to discuss maximizing range. Just wanted to throw it out there that there are alternative needs. If I ever find myself removed from the group, I am switching to the cowl.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Hi everyone. I understand the problems associated with the antenna being in between the spare tire and rear door. My thoughts were to build an L bracket to mount to my 3rd brake light. This sits above the spare tire. Then ground the L bracket and connect the firestik to the L bracket. Will have to worry about the garage but I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any problems encountered with the tire. If I go this route, what length of firestik should I get

Thoughts

Cheers
Al

Last edited by Al Gilliland; 07-29-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Al Gilliland
Hi everyone. I understand the problems associated with the antenna being in between the spare tire and rear door. My thoughts were to build an L bracket to mount to my 3rd brake light. This sits above the spare tire. Then ground the L bracket and connect the firestik to the L bracket. Will have to worry about the garage but I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any problems encountered with the tire. If I go this route, what length of firestik should I get Thoughts Cheers Al
Take a look at the Arizona Rocky Road Mounts (www.arizonarockyroad.com) instead of mounting an L bracket to the 3rd brake light. I use a 2ft Wilson antenna on a quick disconnect (the parking garage at work is just a touch to narrow.

Quick Reply: Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep