Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep

Old 06-08-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That does look like a very good option for RF performance and ease on install.

Where I live the trees and the brush would rip it off, but it's a good option to consider.

I especially like how the badge can recover the holes!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamantste
Homemade tailgate mount...
Where did you find the flat steel to make the bracket? I assume it's about 1 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely well thought out and organized but the Jeep actually has a unique body style so that the roof mount idea doesn't work unless somehow grounded because it is made of non ferrous/magnetic/conductive material (all of which make for an ideal ground for an antenna). It is worth mentioning that the top of the Jeep (apart from the glass) readily allows radio waves to go through it so even handhelds that don't work in other vehicles work nicely in Jeeps (most other vehicles don't allow much to escape in the way of radio waves because of their steel and glass structure). The reason I respond is because of the mount using the side panel works for small antennas but longer antennas quickly cause the thin metal to flex and over a short period would result in the metal failing/cracking. Just a few inches ahead there are the side panel bolts that are more solid and don't require getting a but or bolt up through the wheel well. The difficulty comes from the fact that the hood curves over that section but with a simple sheet metal brake (to bend sheet metal) you can easily make brackets to fit there (I made a 5 antenna mount that uses two of the side panel bolts to hold it in place). The nice thing about the Jeep is how well they have grounded it from the factory so you probably won't have issues with that as long as you ground the antenna to the body.

Last edited by CombatDiver; 06-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
<snip> For VHF/UHF, I installed a home made bracket/antenna using a PL-259 connector on the A pillar using the mounting screws by the mirror. I have some washers for spacing it away from the paint.. still makes a good ground. <snip>
I did a similar thing. I took an inverted-L bracket meant for mounting an antenna to a mast, flattened it, drilled the holes, used cut up milk carton as a paint insulator and used both screws for the driver side windshield hinge bracket as a mount. You could almost lift the JKU with it. I ran a long dual-band antenna on it (Comet SBB-7 NMO) and from inside the beginnings of the Rockies, we were still hitting a repeater probably 100KM away working rallies and also used it in the heart of the Rockies doing timing team on a long-distance relay footrace. I built it that strong to eventually put an HF antenna on it, but as things worked out, that was her jeep and her and I split up (still friends). I should get a picture while we are still friends The radio is mounted on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. Yes, it puts the coil and the first part of the antenna too close to metal, but it has protected the antenna and it has worked quite well, all things considered.

The only mobile HF work now is going to be on MY Jeep (2004 TJ Rubicon) using a BreedLove mount and insulator, Chameleon V1 (original), Cal-AV spring, SG-231 coupler and FT-857D radio. I haven't decided whether to mount on the rack or on the front bumper - on one of the tubes that would pretty well put the start of the antenna above the hood.

Back on subject, at the moment, I have a dual-band antenna (UHF mount) that is mounted on the top of a Garvin Wilderness swing-away rack which is bonded to the rest of the Jeep with braid (it had to be braid, I open and close the swing-away, so I couldn't use copper strap unless I found a way to disconnect it each time, remembering to do that *before* opening the swing-away.) The other side of the rack sports the 4' fibreglass CB whip on a heavy duty CB mount with a quick disconnect and spring. The guys in the club say my CB performs really well and I know my VHF (2M) setup performs quite well.

Side View of Jeep Flexed (no, not disconnected) - Antennas Visible on Rear rack
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view of flexed jeep showing antennas.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	570364
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone attempted to mount (drill) through the hard top roof using a NMO style connection?

v/r,
Eric
Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Name:	image-276651038.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	575093

Finally got my CB mounted in the Dash. It's very convenient and was a pretty simple install. Mounted my antenna on the fender with a homemade bracket.

Name:	image-3661043039.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	575094
Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the hood bumpers (I don't ever plan on lowering the windshielld) and mounted a Larsen LM mount and 2 meter antenna there as well as a cowl mount. For a longer heavier antenna, the cowl mount is sturdier. The hood sheet metal is so thin, I'd be concerned it would bend/dimple from hitting a low hanging branch or other obstruction. Not sure if an NMO mount would fit in the hood hole though.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I mounted my cb and antenna then read this thread. I ended up moulting it where (surprisingly many ppl do) on the tire carrier. I heard grounding the tailgate works well for some so I did that with a strap(picture).

1. I still have swr of 3 across channels. The next thing I did was check the resistance between the antenna and the mount (this should not have any movement on the multimeter right?) but I saw 0.5 ohm resistance which is very low! Should I add another rubber washer under the antenna??

2. I'll also either find a new location for the mount, or add a 2 foot stainless steel bar so the antenna is over the tire. Would this work even though the antenna still doesn't have a horizontal RF ground?
Help would be great right now! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1134718299.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	579162   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-715433761.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	579163  

Last edited by ODONS; 10-09-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ODONS
So I mounted my cb and antenna then read this thread. I ended up moulting it where (surprisingly many ppl do) on the tire carrier. I heard grounding the tailgate works well for some so I did that with a strap(picture). 1. I still have swr of 3 across channels. The next thing I did was check the resistance between the antenna and the mount (this should not have any movement on the multimeter right?) but I saw 0.5 ohm resistance which is very low! Should I add another rubber washer under the antenna?? 2. I'll also either find a new location for the mount, or add a 2 foot stainless steel bar so the antenna is over the tire. Would this work even though the antenna still doesn't have a horizontal RF ground? Help would be great right now! Thanks
Take a look at the Arizona Rocky Road mounts (http://www.arizonarockyroad.com) instead of adding a SS bar.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MB_Pathfinder
Take a look at the Arizona Rocky Road mounts (http://www.arizonarockyroad.com) instead of adding a SS bar.
Yea I was thinking about their mount, just not sure if it would help with the ground situation..

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep