Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep

Old 10-11-2014, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea I was thinking about their mount, just not sure if it would help with the ground situation..

For the electrical ground it would just make it worse (you have to scrape the paint off of the ARR mount and then it'll rust in a few weeks).

For the RF ground it won't make any difference (elevating the antenna another foot or so will not change the electrical properties of the antenna or it's surroundings).
Old 10-12-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great writeup and info. I'll Be Mounting My CB Up soon!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default *** more technical update *** 11-12-14

*** MORE TECHNICAL UPDATE *** 11-12-14

Recently I cracked my intake manifold changing a censor. I had my mechanic add some headers and new spark plugs at the same time he replaced the manifold. Needless to say by doing so we disturbed the electrical system of the Jeep thus causing RF (Radio Frequency Radiation) leakage. It sounded like bacon frying on my VHF and UHF analog ham channels all across the spectrum, both receiving and transmitting.

To solve this problem I ended up swapping my dual band VHF/UHF antenna from the Cowl to the back and put my 800 MHz antenna on the Cowl. This got the antenna enough away to solve this problem.

But a new problem was also discovered. My 800 is a commercial digital radio and although the digital signal did not pick up the “bacon frying noise” it made the radio less sensitive.

To solve this problem I tried to put a brand new coax with new antenna and connector, SWR checked great. But that did not work so I ended up relocating my 800 antenna to the rear light bar bulkhead mount as seen in the above pictures. Once there my receive signal strength came back.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by realjeep
*** MORE TECHNICAL UPDATE *** 11-12-14

Recently I cracked my intake manifold changing a censor. I had my mechanic add some headers and new spark plugs at the same time he replaced the manifold. Needless to say by doing so we disturbed the electrical system of the Jeep thus causing RF (Radio Frequency Radiation) leakage. It sounded like bacon frying on my VHF and UHF analog ham channels all across the spectrum, both receiving and transmitting.

To solve this problem I ended up swapping my dual band VHF/UHF antenna from the Cowl to the back and put my 800 MHz antenna on the Cowl. This got the antenna enough away to solve this problem.

But a new problem was also discovered. My 800 is a commercial digital radio and although the digital signal did not pick up the “bacon frying noise” it made the radio less sensitive.

To solve this problem I tried to put a brand new coax with new antenna and connector, SWR checked great. But that did not work so I ended up relocating my 800 antenna to the rear light bar bulkhead mount as seen in the above pictures. Once there my receive signal strength came back.
Did they change the plug wires too?

They make resistor plugs and wires and with the ECMs and CAN bus you might think about using them. It will drastically reduce the EMI created while spark events occur and you should be able to put your antennas back where they worked before

Last edited by zstairlessone; 11-12-2014 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (10-25-2021)
Old 01-01-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know i read do not mount between spare tire and tailgate but wondered if this mount would be ok considering its a lot higher up and 3/4 of the antenna would be out between the two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A23B7808-9660-4815-ADD5-5432EBC62D64_zpse5zazdgp.jpg
Views:	1243
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	590021
Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Did they change the plug wires too?

They make resistor plugs and wires and with the ECMs and CAN bus you might think about using them. It will drastically reduce the EMI created while spark events occur and you should be able to put your antennas back where they worked before
I don't think so they just put in new OEM plugs. I will check on that.

thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I know i read do not mount between spare tire and tailgate but wondered if this mount would be ok considering its a lot higher up and 3/4 of the antenna would be out between the two.

Attachment 590021
Well it looks like your going to mount an antenna on the tip of a triangle? Unless your making a costume flat mounting surface that will be clamped or welded there I would not mess with it. Go to the cowl or even the bumper at the edge would be better. I did one of those between tailgate and spare tire mounts for a guy with a Toyota Land Cruiser. We tested the SWR with a short fire 3' stick and a long about 6' the longer one has almost now SWR and the short one required lots of adjustment. He chose to mount it there because he already had a HAM antenna on the Cowl.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Default Front Page News!

Too much good info here not to bring it to front page!
Perfect Places to Mount your CB or HAM Radio Antenna - JK Forum
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by realjeep
Well it looks like your going to mount an antenna on the tip of a triangle? Unless your making a costume flat mounting surface that will be clamped or welded there I would not mess with it. Go to the cowl or even the bumper at the edge would be better. I did one of those between tailgate and spare tire mounts for a guy with a Toyota Land Cruiser. We tested the SWR with a short fire 3' stick and a long about 6' the longer one has almost now SWR and the short one required lots of adjustment. He chose to mount it there because he already had a HAM antenna on the Cowl.
I was thinking of making the hole and then tack welding the mount so it wont go anywhere. Next option would be simply just cutting off half an inch from the top and then welding on a piece of metal to make it a flat top surface.

The antenna itself would be only be between the back of the Jeep and rear tire for 7inches before it clears the tire. Then roughly 17inches before it clears the hard top leaving 19inches of a 3ft antenna completely open centered above the rear of the Jeep. With the antenna being like this would i have fairly good distance with it on the trail? Obviously nothing crazy but good enough?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone considered using a windshield light mount and using it for an antenna mount?
I'm looking at getting a handheld CB with an external antenna option and I'm thinking about doing this...
Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep