Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

High SWR assistance

Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put the plastic cover over the tunable tip ?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

yep. The plastic is over the tip.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awakeinny
Did you put the plastic cover over the tunable tip ?
Yes, if that's how you are going to run. The idea is when you take the SWR everything is exactly where it's going to end up, plastic tip, doors closed, etc. Not doing so could change the SWR after the fact.

That said, I wonder if anyone who takes their doors off has taken a SWR reading before and after to see if there is a difference. I know with my work truck if I take a reading with a door open and then closed there is a slight difference.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by soberbyker
Yes, if that's how you are going to run. The idea is when you take the SWR everything is exactly where it's going to end up, plastic tip, doors closed, etc. Not doing so could change the SWR after the fact.

That said, I wonder if anyone who takes their doors off has taken a SWR reading before and after to see if there is a difference. I know with my work truck if I take a reading with a door open and then closed there is a slight difference.

Every thing that enters, leaves, or changes within the "near field", which encompasses a hemisphere 36 feet in radius around the vehicle will change the observed VSWR reading. You can't effectively compensate for it. The amount of change you see on the meter, from this, is not significant. This includes the doors and the effect of your body. Think about where you drive and the things that surround the vehicle during a drive, every day.

Phil

Last edited by psouza; 04-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: High SWR assistance