Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HT vs mobile

Old 08-16-2016, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HT vs mobile

ok so im still new to amateur radio. ive been using an HT baofeng and am pretty happy with it. ive been tossing around the idea of putting a mobile HAM in my jeep. already have a CB POS, dont know why i ever did that. doesnt compare to HAM. anyway my question is twofold. am i better off using my HT and installing it in the jeep. kind of like a cb setup meaning rado cable antenna OR getting a dedicated mobile unit in the jeep with same antenna setup. Will the recieve and transmit be better with a mobile vs HT. feck am i making sense? lol
Old 08-16-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always found a dedicated mobile radio to be better than using a handheld. I find HTs are cumbersome in a vehicle when you start wiring in antenna, mic, power... Just my .02

Also, don't underestimate the CB. The throwdown $40 Unidentifiable does a nice job allowing commas with other folks and truckers on CB. I've been stuck in traffic 3 times where the CB got me valuable info that wasn't to be had any other way. It got me on my way. I don't use it often, but darn handy now and again.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool It all depends

Here are a few things to consider:
- The HT will cost less than a mobile
- Power out on a HT is 5-8 watts while the mobile offers 50 to 75 watts out. Much longer range.
- While the mobile will provide much better performance, it is easy to take the HT with you when you leave your JK. Not so with the mobile.
- If you start adding things like an external antenna and 12 power to your HT, it sort of gets like trying to make love to an octopus when you use it. Cord management becomes a big thing.
- Each of these radios has its own role, I recommend keeping them in their own swim lane.
W6PBR
Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the best of both worlds you can by a vhf\dual band linear amp and hard mount that then plug the HT into that if you need more power.
Just an option.....

Quick Reply: HT vs mobile