Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

I need help with tuning my CB Radio in St George, Utah or Vegas ?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need help with tuning my CB Radio in St George, Utah or Vegas ?

Anyone? If not theres one person in Vegas that i will end up going too on a weekend trip down there.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Anyone? If not theres one person in Vegas that i will end up going too on a weekend trip down there.
If nobody is in St. George and able to help you, you really should just give it a shot yourself, unless you're just looking for an excuse to hit Vegas . It's super easy to do assuming you have tuneable antennae. A SWR meter can be picked up at your local Radio Shack for about $20 (assuming they haven't all shut down), or ordered online for even cheaper. Instructions for tuning the cb can be found online using google or other search engine of your choice. It really is super simple.

The more difficult part is identifying the source of any grounding issues you might have in the event your readings are too out of whack. That's actually a really simple process too using a multimeter to conduct a series of continuity checks, but can be a little more intimidating of a process to someone with zero knowledge on the subject I suppose. If you were the one who installed the cb, I think tuning it would be a piece of cake. I can shoot you some links I used to tune mine if it would help. Either way, best of luck to you.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smittycm
If nobody is in St. George and able to help you, you really should just give it a shot yourself, unless you're just looking for an excuse to hit Vegas . It's super easy to do assuming you have tuneable antennae. A SWR meter can be picked up at your local Radio Shack for about $20 (assuming they haven't all shut down), or ordered online for even cheaper. Instructions for tuning the cb can be found online using google or other search engine of your choice. It really is super simple.

The more difficult part is identifying the source of any grounding issues you might have in the event your readings are too out of whack. That's actually a really simple process too using a multimeter to conduct a series of continuity checks, but can be a little more intimidating of a process to someone with zero knowledge on the subject I suppose. If you were the one who installed the cb, I think tuning it would be a piece of cake. I can shoot you some links I used to tune mine if it would help. Either way, best of luck to you.

Yeah if you want to send the links over ill check them out. I just moved out of Vegas less than a week ago but still have to travel back once a week, so i was just thinking about hitting the professional guy that everyone of the Jeep clubs use. I wouldn't think that he would charge more than $20 to do the tuning unless he needs to add a grounding strap as you mentioned. But i will check out what you send and make the determination after that. I just installed my external quick disconnect I bought and now its broken less than 5 hours later. Now i need to either, return/get a new one, or buy a 3ft antenna and go without a quick disconnect, because my 4ft will hit the garage every single time. I guess i could just connect and take off the 4ft antenna when im going to use it.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Yeah if you want to send the links over ill check them out. I just moved out of Vegas less than a week ago but still have to travel back once a week, so i was just thinking about hitting the professional guy that everyone of the Jeep clubs use. I wouldn't think that he would charge more than $20 to do the tuning unless he needs to add a grounding strap as you mentioned. But i will check out what you send and make the determination after that. I just installed my external quick disconnect I bought and now its broken less than 5 hours later. Now i need to either, return/get a new one, or buy a 3ft antenna and go without a quick disconnect, because my 4ft will hit the garage every single time. I guess i could just connect and take off the 4ft antenna when im going to use it.
This is the link I used. There are literally tons of sites you can use though. The instructions are all the same really...

CB Antenna Tuning Instructions | Right Channel Radios

I don't bother with a quick disconnect. I bought a 4' Wilson Flex antennae. I normally only install it when I go wheeling, and remove it when I return. It literally only takes about 20 seconds to unscrew it from the stud. I have a spiderweb shade and I just store the antennae above the soundbar between wheeling trips. The shade keeps it in place, even while topless on the highway. I'd go with a 5' antennae if I could think of a way to store it on the Jeep as easy as the method I use now. I think 5' might be a bit too long to fit above the soundbar though. I think the longer antennae the better as far as range is concerned.

I drive into the garage with the antennae installed on accident 9 out of 10 times upon returning from a trip. I can't seem to remember to remove it. It hasn't damaged it yet. The Wilson Flex has awesome flex. It just bends and I remove it after parking.

One lesson learned I experienced was to purchase quality components. I initially bought a generic brand coax and antennae that my local Frys had in stock, and I had the hardest time getting a good SWR reading even after troubleshooting possible grounding issues. I traded out the coax and antennae for quality Wilson brand components and had no trouble getting 1.1/1.0 SWR readings. I bought the antennae and coax at a Travelcenter truck stop on one of my roadtrips. The prices were actually the same as Amazon prices. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

St George is a small place so you probably know Dixie 4wheel. Bryce and his crew should be able to get you dialed in no time. But as stated in another post, give it a shot yourself. Its easy, takes about 20 minutes.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 AM
DJ1
Former Member

if you can turn a knob on an AM radio, you can tune your antenna...

Call me crazy and I don't have a HAM license (yet) but it ain't rocket science.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smittycm
This is the link I used. There are literally tons of sites you can use though. The instructions are all the same really...

CB Antenna Tuning Instructions | Right Channel Radios

I don't bother with a quick disconnect. I bought a 4' Wilson Flex antennae. I normally only install it when I go wheeling, and remove it when I return. It literally only takes about 20 seconds to unscrew it from the stud. I have a spiderweb shade and I just store the antennae above the soundbar between wheeling trips. The shade keeps it in place, even while topless on the highway. I'd go with a 5' antennae if I could think of a way to store it on the Jeep as easy as the method I use now. I think 5' might be a bit too long to fit above the soundbar though. I think the longer antennae the better as far as range is concerned.

I drive into the garage with the antennae installed on accident 9 out of 10 times upon returning from a trip. I can't seem to remember to remove it. It hasn't damaged it yet. The Wilson Flex has awesome flex. It just bends and I remove it after parking.

One lesson learned I experienced was to purchase quality components. I initially bought a generic brand coax and antennae that my local Frys had in stock, and I had the hardest time getting a good SWR reading even after troubleshooting possible grounding issues. I traded out the coax and antennae for quality Wilson brand components and had no trouble getting 1.1/1.0 SWR readings. I bought the antennae and coax at a Travelcenter truck stop on one of my roadtrips. The prices were actually the same as Amazon prices. Your mileage may vary.
Yeah i just received a refund on the quick disconnect that broke so i will probably end up buying a 4ft Firefly antenna that has a lot more give my 4ft Firestik antenna. Im going to give it a go myself and see how well it goes.

Originally Posted by DaK
St George is a small place so you probably know Dixie 4wheel. Bryce and his crew should be able to get you dialed in no time. But as stated in another post, give it a shot yourself. Its easy, takes about 20 minutes.
Ive only been here for 6 days but its good to know a place in town just in case i need something done, thanks.

Originally Posted by DJ1
if you can turn a knob on an AM radio, you can tune your antenna...

Call me crazy and I don't have a HAM license (yet) but it ain't rocket science.
Yeah i will end up giving it a shot myself.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:53 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for places to go and people to wheel with check with Dixie as they have runs going quite often. You have Sand Hollow over in Hurricane with lots of trails, mild to wild. If adventuring is more your thing, still a great place with lots of history and National Parks right out your back door. Some times we take a 4 day weekend and head up there as the vistas are incredible.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DaK
If you are looking for places to go and people to wheel with check with Dixie as they have runs going quite often. You have Sand Hollow over in Hurricane with lots of trails, mild to wild. If adventuring is more your thing, still a great place with lots of history and National Parks right out your back door. Some times we take a 4 day weekend and head up there as the vistas are incredible.
I will, thanks. I know theres a ton of wheeling to do out here.

Quick Reply: I need help with tuning my CB Radio in St George, Utah or Vegas ?