Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75 Sound Went Dead

Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Cobra 75 Sound Went Dead

I've read of a few others having this issue. It's super weird cause it was just working last night..... I move my antenna and re-checked my SWR and all looked good. Now this morning when I turn it on, there's no welcome "on" beep sound and there is no static or sound no matter how low the squelch is or how high the volume is.

I removed the connectors from both ends and all of the wires and soldered good, so it's not that like another thread on here suggests, at least for me.

Looks like I might have to send it back to them unless someone has a brilliant fix.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you said you checked the connections but the same kind of thing happened to me and my problem was that the antenna connector on the remote module wasn't threaded in the whole way. Once I fixed that, everything returned to normal.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

A few basics to review:
- Recheck all threaded connections, especially the antenna coax to the remote unit.
- You said that you moved the antenna, recheck coax connection to the bottom of the antenna.
- Is your JK clear of buildings and trees?
- When you turn the unit on, does the LCD display light up? Which symbols are displayed? If you are not getting power to the unit, check the in-line fuses and connections to the battery and engine compartment grounding point.
- If you are receiving power and the antenna is properly connected, activate the sound tracker option, select a channel, then set the volume and squelch.
- The easiest way to test the receive capability is to turn on the weather (WX) station function and cycle through the WX stations in your area. In LA at least one station should come in loud and clear provided you have the volume and squelch properly set.
- If none of the above solves your problem, I suggest you contact the Cobra help desk at 773-889-3087 and/or plan to send the unit back for repair.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Handset is just straight up broke (Powers on but no sound of any kind no matter what, even from the ext. speaker). This seems to be a known problem with the 75.

Tried my friends new one and it works perfectly connected to my box. Went and bought a new one at Frys and it's good to go. STILL waiting to hear back from Cobra about sending my other one in for repair, which is only 8 months old btw and gets seldom used.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Post Cobra 75 Sound

Originally Posted by aermotor
Handset is just straight up broke (Powers on but no sound of any kind no matter what, even from the ext. speaker). This seems to be a known problem with the 75.

Tried my friends new one and it works perfectly connected to my box. Went and bought a new one at Frys and it's good to go. STILL waiting to hear back from Cobra about sending my other one in for repair, which is only 8 months old btw and gets seldom used.
Same thing happen to mine. Contacted Cobra and was told it had a 2 year warranty-had it a little over a year. Sent it back about 1-2 wks ago-got it back yesterday and working good...Cobra said the speaker was defective. No cost except shipping it back to them.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the midland 822, but another guy on the trail had the Cobra and he came through all garbled and muffled. At first I thought it was an issue with mine, but a guy came up and told him he wasn't coming through well and he had the SAME issue with his 75. Something about the wires in the handset. Said it was a common issue with them.

Glad I got the midland...
Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

So close to pulling the trigger in that unit, kinda scary though. Compactness is definitely the best feature closely followed by the weather freq's. Still might do it though, with a 2yr warranty.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

822 has weather too. Plus you can put it all in the arm rest and tuck the antenna cable under the passenger seat. Also, it can be used as a handheld...
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice tip, thanks, snowbilt. I will def look into it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine for almost 4 years and not one problem!!

Quick Reply: Cobra 75 Sound Went Dead