Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

JK - Emergency Communications Platform Project

Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
That looks very cool! I'd love have a setup like that in my Jeep... wouldn't know what to do with it but I could tell folks I got a ARES / MARS / other acronyms setup which would just be extra awesome lol

Is this something you have setup for work? Or more so personal use if there was (example) a natural disaster in your area.
This is dual purpose for both work and hobby (fun). Retired military, I work in the emergency preparedness field full-time.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Project Update - Auxilary Battery Mounting

Hi Folks - Project Update

I have been running the basic system through the winter. My auxiliary battery setup works well but takes up precious storage space.

I considered installing a dual-battery in the engine compartment, but need the flexibility to quickly access the battery and relocate it. I discovered a great solution.

I installed a Springtail JK Unlimited Passenger Side Rack that works like it was design for the purpose. The dual-purpose AGM battery fits perfect. The Side Rack was made from a gauge of steel much heavier then I anticipated. It is very strong and very solid once mounted. In an accident this battery will remain secure proecting the occupants.

JK Unlimited Passeneger Side Rack Special Deal

The new rack provides more storage and safety. If you are looking for an interior auxiliary battery mount this is it!

Last edited by hs10; 04-02-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey - nicely done. I wonder how you managed the wiring and charging? Also, reminds me of a past project where I built a carpeted box that contains items inside (tow strap, etc.) and a removable box that contains tools. I've often thought that placing (a well secured) second battery would be ideal there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	box3.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	604564
Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Hey - nicely done. I wonder how you managed the wiring and charging? Also, reminds me of a past project where I built a carpeted box that contains items inside (tow strap, etc.) and a removable box that contains tools. I've often thought that placing (a well secured) second battery would be ideal there.

Your setup looks very nice and professionally done. The Springtail rack accomplishes the same thing. I plan to get the passenger side to provide some additional storage room similar to your setup.

For safety the interior battery must be an AGM since they are "recombinant" and release little to no hydrogen and spill resistant.

I use a West Mountain Radio ISOpwr to charge and isolate the primary and auxiliary batteries. I ran heavy gauge wire from the primay battery to the ISOpwr.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...cts_id=iso_pwr

I use the RIGrunner for a power buss.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...s_id=rr_4005_c

I will get some better photos and post them.

Last edited by hs10; 04-03-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hs10

For safety the interior battery must be an AGM since they are "recombinant" and release little to no hydrogen and spill resistant.
Thanks for this added info.

I was just wondering about that since I've got a full size AGM that's going to be replaced by a Genesis Dual battery setup today/tomorrow. I was planning to get one of those plastic battery housings and use it as a portable tertiary backup to help others on the trail and double up as a portable battery source coupled with a portable folding solar panel but wasn't sure if it was safe enough to keep inside the rig.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Additional AUX Battery Mount Photos

Hi Folks

Here are some better photographs. I have an unsightly wire mess, but once all testing is completed it will have nice cable management.

This is a roof rail system I created to mount tuners and AUX/APRS transceivers

Last edited by hs10; 04-03-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

"Oops". The pictures don't seem to be attached?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Photo verification

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
"Oops". The pictures don't seem to be attached?
Hi Folks

Here is the http an [IMG] links, try to access again. Can other members see the photo?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...2&d=1428093399

Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see one little dot...
Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone else having problems viewing a majority of the pics posted on this thread.

Quick Reply: JK - Emergency Communications Platform Project