Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Just Ordered

Old 12-28-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Ordered

I'm new to the CB scene, my dad always had one in his trucks but this is my first. I just ordered my CB with 18' coaxial, a 3ft fire stick, spring, the mounting bracket for the tailgate and an adapter for the bottom of the antanna. Will I need anything else for the install or does this sum it up? And for my power source, do I just run a straight wire to the battery for power?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thadv95
I'm new to the CB scene, my dad always had one in his trucks but this is my first. I just ordered my CB with 18' coaxial, a 3ft fire stick, spring, the mounting bracket for the tailgate and an adapter for the bottom of the antanna. Will I need anything else for the install or does this sum it up? And for my power source, do I just run a straight wire to the battery for power?
Yes. Run the main power conductors (both red and black) directly to the battery. Fuse "both" conductors at, or as near as possible to, the battery. At the transceiver, use a connector, so that you can safely disconnect the transceiver if needed (so you don't have to disconnect the conductors at the battery).
Old 12-28-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an approx. range for a fiberglass antenna
2' Length: 2 to 3 miles
3' Length: 3 to 4 miles
4' Length: 4 to 6 miles
5' Length: 5 to 7 miles

for best results a 102in whip is best but that over 8 feet
you also need to get them above your roof line (the higher the better)

Last edited by jchappies; 12-28-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you use a 102" whip you have to get a 6" spring for it to be 108"

if you get a 108" whip you cant use a spring under it.

the length of 108" is the magic length

all the shortie antennas basically have coils in them to make them into a 108" antenna
that's why when you mount any shortie it's important to keep as much as possible above the body line

Quick Reply: Just Ordered