Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

NEWBIE on CB

Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE on CB

I'm looking into getting the Cobra 75, I see a lot of people have had great reviews of it, so I figured it would be a legitimate CB purchase. I have also seen people write about needing a SWT with it??? I wish I wasn't such a newbie, but I have no idea what to do with this. Honestly I'm mechanically inclined and my KC fog slimlites were the first thing I've ever electrically installed, and the bumper I bought the first thing I've ever mechanically installed lol . So my question is: If I purchase the 75, what else, if anything, do I need to purchase to install this item, and will it come with everything, i.e. instructions, parts, etc, to install?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a decent radio. What makes them great is their small size and built in weather radio.

In addition to the radio you will need antenna, antenna mount, coax and SWR meter.

There are lots of ways to mount the antenna. Personally I went with CoolTech license plate mount.

Sent via smoke signal
Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default decent 75

u said it is a decent radio. what are some better ones out there? I have seen a lot of posts about the cobra 29, and i myself was looking at the 18. any others? different brands?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

u could also look at the midland 75-822
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best bang for the buck would be Uniden Pro 520 XL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UNIDEN PRO 520 XL.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	287996

There are much better radios on the market but the JK doesn't lend itself to installing full size radios without some type of a Tuffy box or hacking up the interior of the Jeep.

Don't get me wrong the Cobra 75 is a decent radio and will serve you well. It really depends on what you want to use it for. The Cobra 75 would be awkward to use everyday but fine for occasional trail rides. It has a small speaker and can be difficult at times to hear.

Just like Jeep mods there are LOTS of options and everyone has their opinion about which is better....hopefully I have not confused you more.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cobra 75 kit from Cool Tech LLC

Look into the Cobra 75 kit from Cool Tech LLC. It includes everything you need to install the radio and antenna. I just finished the install about an hour ago. While I am mechanically inclined, I have ZERO experience with CB or RF gear. Easiest (0) to Hardest (5), I'd say the kit makes this install a 2. Taking my sweet time, and taking breaks to stretch my back, I was done in less than 2hrs. There is some grinding of the license plate holder but just take your time.

Note that you will need to buy or borrow an SWR meter and a 1-3 foot patch cable for the tuning your antenna after the install is complete. DON'T transmit from your radio until you've tuned the antenna (b'zappy things happen). I was going to borrow a meter, but figured it might be handy to have around for future puttering. For $22 (meter and cable from Frys), why not?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, if you dont mind a slightly larger cb rig, you coould get a 18 wxst ii.
It has the weather channels built in as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you want something better look at galaxys i have an galaxy 88 for sale its big and bad lots of options and power but they make some smaller radios like a 33 or 44 and you will still get plenty of power out of them
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 AM
JK Newbie

Shoot me an email. I have questions about your radio. phillipsbrandon2003@yahoo.com.

ROLL TIDE!!!
Brandon
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best bang for the buck would be Uniden Pro 520 XL.

Hi, I really feel I should put my 2 cents in here. I too couldnt decide which radio, and after a lot of reading and reviews the Cobra 75 is not a good choice. It is a radio ALL in the hand mic, and when you drop it, and I say when, not if, you drop the whole radio. I am not sure where you read good reviews on that radio, but I didnt find any.
If you just want a no bells and whistles good CB right out of the box go with the uniden 510 or 520. You can not go wrong there. Of course that is IMO. Get what you want. But I had a lot of help when I choose my radios, you deserve the same advice before you start spending $$$.
Enjoy, Mike
W7MCM
this is from an old post of mine when i got my CB:Uniden 520 xl $39.00 off ebay,new
Here is what I got from CBworld, it works perfect for me. The 18' coax has a PL259 connecter on one end that goes into the radio and a lug for the stud assembly for the antenna. I snaked it thru the tailgate no problem. I also ran a short ground wire from the tub of the jeep to the frame , I couldn't get my SWR's down until I did that. Grounding the antenna mount is most important. With the lug type connecter on this cable it has its own ground wire to screw on to the mount.
AUD402 Adjustable Universal CB Radio Mounting Bracket
$6.99
Everhart TSM4-R Four Foot SUEPR FLEX WAVECB Antenna RED this is super flexable good antenna, trail tested
$11.50
KCB5SS Stainless Steel Lug Stud Antenna Mount $4.95
PL8X18 18 Foot RG8X Coax $16.99
K1A PUSH-N-TWIST Quick Disconnect Replacement for R1A $13.99
Hope this helps and not confuses you.
As far as the antenna mount I made one that bolts onto my spare tire carrier. You can buy the same kind almost. Check out this thread or do a search it has been answered before. Have fun.

Last edited by Highlander; 03-18-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE on CB