Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Lowering SWR with 102" steel whip antenna

Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 102" whip

Originally Posted by highoctane
I recently picked up a 102" steel whip antenna from Radio Shack since I broke the last to Firestick and Firefly antennas I had. Initially SWR was off the scale over 3.0. I pretty much new I had a bad coax cable at that point. I went back and picked up a stronger mount(for the longer antenna) and a new 20ft coax from Radio Shack. I wanted to get an 18ft but they had only 12 and 20. I did not coil up the extra tightly, but wound it in a very long oval up the aft end of the roll bar. The entire cable is run down under the roll bar padding, the length of the roll bar, back to the factory sub, then out under the tail gate seal. No sharp bends or kinks. My radio is a cheap Cobra 19 Ultra III that had a 1.3SWR with my 4ft firestick.

Here is how the antenna is mounted.

Afetr doing all this, I retested and my SWR is at 2.1 on ch.1, 2.0 on ch.20, and 1.9 on ch.40. I do not want to trim the antenna to tune SWR, since the instructions say not to, and I was told my the local cb shop not to cut a steel whip antenna, only fiberglass. What else can I do to lower the SWR? Is the receive and transmit range drastically effected by having a 2.0 swr compared to a 1.0-1.5ish SWR?
Hello Sir,

I'm having the same issue with my whip. I have a 6" spring and still have a reading of 2-2.5:1 while my 4' firestick is 1.4:1. I've bonded tailgate etc. just wondering if you ever resolved your issue.

Shawn
Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

The theory of the perfection of a 108" antenna (102" antenna & 6"spring) is based on it being mounted OVER a reflective ground plane, i.e., mounted on top of a metal roof, not next to the body as is the case with most Jeep installations. The proximity to the body can seriously degrade the matching, and as noted, adjusting the length to correct that is problematic at best. This is why shorter, more adjustable antenna types are the near universal choice.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NQ3X
I say again: SWR of 3:1 or lower is JUST FINE. Modern radios have power-reduction circuitry built in to automatically reduce power when SWR climbs above a certain point, usually 3:1.

There's too much obsession with SWR on these boards.

Bob
DUse this right here eased my mind so much. I dropped my paycheck on finish the cb crap for my semi. And the lowest I can get it with agrounded Wilson mirror mount a Wilson 2000 whip antenna and a Uniden bearcat 880 with 18' coax is 1.9to 2.3 SWR. No worries now right?
Old 07-01-2021, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

That sounds a bit on the high side IMHO although could be a number of factors. If you have a multimeter I would check your cables/connectors/mount to make sure it isn't shorted. Also did you use an external SWR bridge and on what channels did you run tests. Usually 1/20/40 and this can tell you if you need to lengthen or shorten the antenna. Your antenna is tunable granted I would probably be happy if you got it down to 1.5:1 across the board.

Quick Reply: Lowering SWR with 102" steel whip antenna