Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

My CB radio install to share with everyone . . .

Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CB radio install to share with everyone . . .

Just wanted to share my install, I haven't seen anyone do this yet

I have a 2012 JKU Sport

Purchased the Cobra 29 LT BT CB radio (love it)
Amazon.com: Cobra 29 LTD BT 40-Channel CB Radio with Bluetooth Technology: Car Electronics

I looked at multiple forums trying to decide the best place to put the radio. I wanted it stealth, ie out of sight. I didn't want to get the tuffy overhead, and from what I've read, that radio was too long for the tuffy anyways

There were some other custom made brackets, but one was on the passanger side, the other would get in the way of the hardtop levers

So I spent some time looking around the jeep and found that there is a bracket underneath the driver's seat. The only purpose it served was to hold an electrical connection off the floor

I removed the connector seen below (twisted it off, the clip broke but i didn't care, nothing duct tape cant fix)

I removed the bracket (2 screws) and flattened it out with a hammer and some pliers

There were already a few holes in the bracket, so I just went to home depot and got some nuts/washers that attached the CB bracket to the seat bracket

This is how it would look with the radio on

I then placed the whole thing back where it came from, but this time it had the CB radio attached to it

This is what it looks like mounted

I ran the microphone underneath the seat and it lays next to the brake handle.

I purchased a CB radio speaker and attached to pillars just over my left ear (no photos of that)
Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket, 2-3/4 x 4-1/2": Car Electronics

The rest of the install can be found elsewhere online . . .
Ran the power wire to the fuse box, grounded to the chassis, CB antenna via cooltech ultramount
Cool Tech LLC. JK Ultamount CB Antenna System

Have had this for 4 months now, everything works like a charm. Just had to retighten the bolts 2 weeks after install and its been secure since then. I'm always on ch19 on the road so I don't need to change the channel, and the speaker is right over my ear. If it gets too loud, my arms are skinny enough to reach down and lower the volume (I'm fairly thin)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking install. Are you scared of water getting to it?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

No problems so far, I have a piece of plastic that I will cut and make it fit into that area when the doors are off. Stealthy
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Good stuff man. I've been pondering for the last couples weeks about where I should place my CB radio. I also purchased the blue tooth cobra. Considering it's size I may have to borrow your idea.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default how do you adjust it

looks good, out of the way for sure, I could not have it there cuz I am always messing with the dials.....but if it works for you good deal.
Mike
W7MCM

Last edited by Highlander; 03-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

I installed mine in my center console it's ok since pretty much the only thing I store there is dip charging chords and wallet
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice looking install, may have to steal this idea when installing my CB
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

looks great and clean. I had thought about mounting it under seat too but like others have said im always playing with it and I have friends that use differ channels and I couldnt get my arms down there to change things
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good but my fat arm couldn't get down there to change channels if I needed to
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

^^^ X2. Looks good op

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Quick Reply: My CB radio install to share with everyone . . .