Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Need a push in the correct direction

Old 09-02-2016, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a push in the correct direction

Hey y'all. New to the site. I'm looking into installing a CB on my jeep. I've done one in my first xj but it never seemed to work right. So here's what I am looking for 1) a nice small radio that will be installed above the rear view mirror. And I want the antenna mounted near the cowl on the driver side as I've read that seems to be the best spot. So can y'all please recommend me a decent CB and antenna and mount for my needs. Thanks in advanced
Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cobra 75 is about the smallest you can get.
I have no recommendation for a front mount CB antenna. lots of options for the rear though.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had great luck with the simple Uniden radios, 510xl or 520xl. $40 - $60. My 520 is mounted above the rear view mirror and that has been the perfect spot. Since space in a jeep is precious, I first tried the Cobra 75 wxst which really has all the radio in the mic. I was never happy with it and it is now in a box in a closet somewhere. The Uniden does much better in all aspects though I did like the Cobra's NOAA weather radio reception capability.

I find the Firestick antennas do well for jeeps. Mine is clamped to my aftermarket tire carrier on the back. The cowl, fender mounts up front should be fine. I've not used any of those to offer any recommendations. The key is to ensure the mount is grounded nicely.

I also encourage you you to not over think it too much. CB in a mobile is intended to facilitate local communications. A clean install with grounded antenna that has been tuned with an SWR meter will have you talking to your trail buddies just fine.

Enjoy
Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Ok that sounds good. My last one was a cheap cobra. I'll look into undens. And the fire stick. And I think my uncle can help me tune it he drives semis and if he can't help he will know who can
Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by texascodmw3
I've had great luck with the simple Uniden radios, 510xl or 520xl. $40 - $60. My 520 is mounted above the rear view mirror and that has been the perfect spot. Since space in a jeep is precious, I first tried the Cobra 75 wxst which really has all the radio in the mic. I was never happy with it and it is now in a box in a closet somewhere. The Uniden does much better in all aspects though I did like the Cobra's NOAA weather radio reception capability. I find the Firestick antennas do well for jeeps. Mine is clamped to my aftermarket tire carrier on the back. The cowl, fender mounts up front should be fine. I've not used any of those to offer any recommendations. The key is to ensure the mount is grounded nicely. I also encourage you you to not over think it too much. CB in a mobile is intended to facilitate local communications. A clean install with grounded antenna that has been tuned with an SWR meter will have you talking to your trail buddies just fine. Enjoy
Completely agree with this recommendation. I have a cobra 75. While the size is small, the mic / handset is heavy as the whole radio is in it. It works, but if I did it again, I would get a traditional radio.

I also had a 5 ft firestick and it worked very well on the tire carrier. I recently replaced my antenna and mounted it on top on my Gobi Rack. I actually think the Firestick worked better on the tire carrier. I was able to get a 1.1 - 1.2 SWR.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up ordering a 520 a 4' firestik firefly with cox with fire ring and a fender mount I found that supposedly mounts to the driver side fender bolt under the hood. I'm waiting to get the stuff in so I can get it set up. And then I'll have to learn how to tune it properly.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leelootherubi
I ended up ordering a 520 a 4' firestik firefly with cox with fire ring and a fender mount I found that supposedly mounts to the driver side fender bolt under the hood. I'm waiting to get the stuff in so I can get it set up. And then I'll have to learn how to tune it properly.
Tuning is easy, just can be a little tedious with repeated cycles of tweaking the antenna adjustment, then keying the radio and taking the SWR measurements. I recommend putting the little red cap back on after adjusting the antenna. I've noticed that the readings were often different with the cap on versus off.

Again, no need to truly over think it. The desire is an SWR reading as close to 1:1 as possible. The primary thing is to know that your antenna system is ok and not running a high SWR.

Enjoy

Quick Reply: Need a push in the correct direction