Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Need some tuning help

Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some tuning help

Ok Jeeple I need so help. I hooked up my CB last week with the hardtop off & everything was great 1-1.4 across all the channels. I had to put the hardtop back on for a trip I took last weekend & put a 90 degree adapter on for a better fit behind the cb, a heavy duty spring & a quick disconnect on the antenna (so I can get in the garage). I try to retune the antenna to accommodate the added length & now can't get anything lower than a SWR of 6-8. Any idea what could be the problem. I've also tried taking the disconnect & spring off the antenna & starting over with the tune. Didn't work. Should I add a ground wire from the antenna? I didn't need it before & have read mixed reports about needing one with the spare tire mount. Any help here would be great as I would like to use it for this weekend. Thanks in advance 👍.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Did you check the 90deg adapter? That high of a SWR makes me think that your CB has a poor connection to the coax.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

I did. I actually took all the pieces I add off & went back to how it was when I started. Still have a hi SWR. I wonder if the coax is bad, or if the mount or antenna needs to be grounded?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a problem with my 90 adapter that the female end of the radio connector would rotate if the 90 moved. I had to resolder the connection inside the radio. SWR that high is almost like you have no antenna. Are you using the radio or a separate SWR meter?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

I'm using the SWR in the Bearcat 880. I may go out an get a standalone unit but was trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your antenna is mounted to the spare tire carrier...then you need to ground the mount. Also check where your cable is passing through the tailgate to the interior...you may have nicked or kinked the coax...opening and closing the tailgate...but most definitely add a ground strap!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

So it turns out it was a bad coax cable. I replaced it & everything is back to normal. Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

The SWR meters in the Bearcats are crap. Definitely get a simple SWR meter and check your calibration.

Quick Reply: Need some tuning help