Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

New to CB radios

Old 03-22-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to CB radios

What is a good cb that plugs into cig lighter? Does it work well? How large of an antenna do I need? I like to talk, so maybe a 50 mile radius, idk. Any info would appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

CB's don't have a 50 mile range, you're lucky if you get a over a 5 mile range with a good setup. I've been on the trail with another Jeep at less then a mile and couldn't get them on the CB. If you are serious about talking you need a ham radio. 50 mile range on a ham is no problem with the right setup. Most of the groups in Colorado are trying to transition to ham for trail work and I only carry a CB as backup if someone doesn't have ham.

With that said there are some CBs that can run off the cigarette lighter. Most people hardwire then to make sure you have enough power and to minimize electrical interference. Often time you will get alternator whine coming through the cig port. I never tried it on my JK so I don't know if that is a problem or not. Midland makes some handheld CB's that will run on the port, take a look at their stuff.

If it helps I run a Cobra 75 CB with a 3' firestick as my setup. It's a pretty good setup as far as CB goes.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you
Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like other poster stated for long range will need to get a ham license and go vhf or uhf. Real easy to get the tech ticket for doing that. A lot of trails you do need to have a cb radio and I use a Cobra for that and do plug it into the 12v outlet in the console with no problems. I just use a short antenna that is the same height as my roll bar so it clears low overhangs and can get at least 5 miles when the skip is not causing interference. Hope that is helpful and really do suggest that you get a tech ticket, you will love how much better the comms are using vhf or uhf.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

We use a Midland 75-822 CB that plugs into the 12 volt accessory outlet.
It's a nice little radio with pretty decent performance for what it is and has the NOAA weather stations built in.
As for an antenna I have a 48 inch Radio Shack magnetic mount antenna that I bought new at a liquidation outlet for $10.00.
Good for trail use with other vehicles and for on the highway. But as already stated it won't give you 50 miles of coverage.
For long distance usage we run a 100 watt VHF/UHF dual band ham radio Rig with remote head for a clean installation.
We also carry three HT or handheld (2 5 watt and one 8 watt) radios as back up and for a spotter to use. Occasionally lending
them them out to friends who don't have any radio equipment.
As more people we now are switching to VHF transmitters we find the CB taking a back seat to the Ham radio.
On the Forestry Service Roads we travel on (to get to and from off road trails/routes) are used by logging trucks, we monitor
their logging truck frequency all the time so we know when their heavily trucks are approaching at high speeds.
That frequency is also monitored by the RCMP, BC Ambulance, and B.C. Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management vehicles.

The main advantage of a Ham radio is their higher power output compared to CB's 4 or 5 watt power output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	75-822.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	603371Click image for larger version

Name:	75-822a.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	603372Click image for larger version

Name:	AT-5888UV.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	603373Click image for larger version

Name:	Dulal Band a.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	603374

The Midland 75-822 also comes with a removable battery pack for mobile use.

Last photo: This is our Rig setup with a goose neck mount in our previous Jeep Liberty.
CB not shown.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

I have the midland 75-822 cb I keep in the center council I ran it with some coax to an FS 3 firestick antenna it works well. Things I like about it. It runs off of the cig lighter but also AA batteries with a rubber ducky antenna so you can take it with you if you need to get out. I also have a little handheld ham radio that are programmed into the local repeaters with a little mag mount antenna that is attached to my tuffy security box. Everyone is right that your lucky to hit 5 miles with a cb. If my rig leaned more towards trail rather than street use Id get a nice permanently mounted cb ran to the battery.

Now cbs are great for group trail rides but if your thinking emergency comms I Would go Ham. But also don't discount your cellphone. That's still going to be your go to emergency communication device. Make sure you have a charger in the jeep at all times.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

A Wilson cell phone booster is also a good idea if you wheel in places with spotty coverage. http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/webo...er-kit-470108/
Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.cobra.com/products/recreational/c-75-wx-st

I assume you want one that plugs in because you don't want a CB mount all the time. That's why I choose this one. It has a small box I mounted to a cross bar behind the glove compartment. It has a little tail that sticks below just enough to attach the mic but normally you don't see it. When not on the trail the mic is either in my tool box or the pocket behind my seat. I have it hard wired to the aux power on the dash.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry already posted on here once. So I edited my second to this message.

Last edited by 14JKWW; 03-01-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

We just installed a Cobra 75 WX ST and it works great. The handheld system, similar to the Midland, eliminates the need to mount a large box somewhere. We put an install video together, too. Check it out!
https://youtu.be/c3CgK3uTWkI

Quick Reply: New to CB radios