Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

New to CB radios need help.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to CB radios need help.

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked before but I just bought the Cobra 75 WXST CB radio and was wondering what would be the best antenna for it and where should it be mounted? Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

I am using a Firestik like this:
Firestik II FS2 B 5 8 Wave 300 Watts Tunable Tip CB Radio Antenna Black | eBay

I mounted it on the third brake light and used one of these springs
Firestik SS 3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Spring for CB Antenna Mount U s A Made | eBay

When I get a chance I'll post a picture of it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grumpus Monkus
I am using a Firestik like this: Firestik II FS2 B 5 8 Wave 300 Watts Tunable Tip CB Radio Antenna Black | eBay I mounted it on the third brake light and used one of these springs Firestik SS 3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Spring for CB Antenna Mount U s A Made | eBay When I get a chance I'll post a picture of it.

Thanks Grumpus really appreciate the info. Does it matter if the antenna is 2ft or does it have to be longer to get better reception
Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

That part I can't answer. I am just getting into the comms part, I know that the antenna can be tuned by trimming a portion when using and SWR meter (I think that's the proper terminology / equipment). Someone with more experience will have to give you a better answer.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

That part I can't answer. I am just getting into the comms part, I know that the antenna can be tuned by trimming a portion when using and SWR meter (I think that's the proper terminology / equipment). Someone with more experience will have to give you a better answer.

Cool man thanks though. I'll wait to see who can chime in on the antenna height.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a thread on the forum that has some great info. You'd have to dig around to find it, but when you do subscribe. It will answer a lot of your questions now and for the future
Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cajun JK
There is a thread on the forum that has some great info. You'd have to dig around to find it, but when you do subscribe. It will answer a lot of your questions now and for the future

Thanks Cajun JK, I just place the order all on Amazon for $178 not a bad price at all for a complete set up. I'll post picks up next week when they come in.

1. Cobra 75WXST 40-channel CB Radio
2. Evo JK CB Antenna Mount (Passenger Side)
3. Firestix 4' Black tunable tip
4. Firestix K-4A stud with screw
5. 18' RG-58A/U Coaxial cable
Old 06-11-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Here are the promised pictures:
[IMG][/IMG]

The thin antenna next to it is for my Kenwood TM-281 2M ham radio.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Grumpus Monkus; 06-11-2016 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are the promised pictures: [/URL][/IMG] The thin antenna next to it is for my Kenwood TM-281 2M ham radio. [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG]
Nice!! Thanks for the picks I ended up going with the passenger side evo mount that gets attached to the tire carrier screws. I get everything next week so I'll post up some pic as well to show my set up.

Last edited by Muddywaters; 06-12-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Please do.

FWIW, it was easy to run the antenna cable along the frame and up into the body. IIRC, I came up on the front passenger side thru a grommet, then snaked it up the dash, and finally thru the hole that I drilled on top of the dash. (there are plenty of Youtube videos and a few threads here on how to remove sections of the dash).

I did something similar to run the power for the radio. But thru the firewall grommet and over to the battery.

I tried to keep it as clean as possible as I don't like wires dangling anywhere on the vehicle.

Quick Reply: New to CB radios need help.