Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Newbie CB question Cobra or Uniden

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie CB question Cobra or Uniden

Just recently purchased my jeep and i bought a mount, cable, swr and a uniden PRO520XL just recently i got offered to what i think is a good deal on a Cobra 29 LX BT. I will be only be using the CB for offloading and maybe to listen to traffic on trips. What would you guys suggest stick with the uniden or upgrade to the Cobra.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

They are both good units it will depend on your use and how much transmit power one or the other has.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by all4wheels
They are both good units it will depend on your use and how much transmit power one or the other has.
to be honest i might use it once or twice. The only reason i like the cobra was for the bluetooth since my jku didnt come with it and i'm still debating about upgrading the radio. As for transmit power i don't know to much about that. i do have a 4' firestik tunable antenna mounted on a teraflex tire carrier mount.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DirtysJK
Just recently purchased my jeep and i bought a mount, cable, swr and a uniden PRO520XL just recently i got offered to what i think is a good deal on a Cobra 29 LX BT. I will be only be using the CB for offloading and maybe to listen to traffic on trips. What would you guys suggest stick with the uniden or upgrade to the Cobra.
both are good units. Personally I have always owned Cobra but was seriously considering the 520 until I found a Cobra 29 in Realtree Camo to go with my Commando Green, lol.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only used cobra so far but all have been great units, had a early 90s 29ltd, new 29ltd chrome and now a 25lx. I would worry about the BT, I've read some bad reviews. If you're wanting Bluetooth get a Motorola roadster pro, it wasn't cheap ~$100 but works great, I've used it even with the top back on the highway up to about 60
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

so i see majority says go with the cobra.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All CB radios are regulated by the FCC to have maximum of 4 watts output power. So basically your options are in the features. Some radios have more "bells and whistles" than other radios. Cobra and Uniden are both good brands. The Uniden 520 is a really good radio, it has a very small footprint and will serve you well.'

Good luck with the choice
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
All CB radios are regulated by the FCC to have maximum of 4 watts output power. So basically your options are in the features. Some radios have more "bells and whistles" than other radios. Cobra and Uniden are both good brands. The Uniden 520 is a really good radio, it has a very small footprint and will serve you well.'

Good luck with the choice
That one thing that got my attention was how small it is, I'm just trying to figure out if i'll need all the bells and Whistles later on.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtysJK
That one thing that got my attention was how small it is, I'm just trying to figure out if i'll need all the bells and Whistles later on.
The smaller size is great. The bigger radios won't perform better so you'd just be taking up more room.

The "bells and whistles" in this case are generally the equivalent of fancy LEDs in a computer case... Neat to look at but offer little in terms of performance.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by arjeeper
The smaller size is great. The bigger radios won't perform better so you'd just be taking up more room.

The "bells and whistles" in this case are generally the equivalent of fancy LEDs in a computer case... Neat to look at but offer little in terms of performance.
well if performance is not a factor i think i'll be sticking to the compact Uniden520 thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Newbie CB question Cobra or Uniden