Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Real gmrs as trail communication

Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my GMRS license and using a garmin 655t rino. I live in Vegas and also going to be taking C.E.RT. Courses! I like the idea you all have going here and if there's anything I can to help or start building an infrastructure herein Vegas (or simply extend it) please feel free to contact me, I'm all for it1
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have been using radios since the late 60's when CB used call signs, Ham was a hard license test to pass, and GMRs didnt exist. Ive been in fire and law enforcement for 40 years and had years of experience with public service FM low band, (30-50mhz) VHF hi (154MHZ plus, ) and UHF (450 mhzplus) and finally in UHF+ (800mhz plus)

my experience has been that the best communication band and system I have seen is in the FM UHF 400+ bands.

As a ham operator I have driven all across the countryand except for a few users in the larger metro areas I find that my radio stays very quiet across 6M, 2M, 440, and 800+. There is no continuity nationwide or even regionally on monitored call or emergency frequencies and many repeaters are closed and alot of operators are rather snooty to say the least.

I will save all the blah blah of why but just will say that my experience has taught me that the GMRS band is the most versatile and is a great comprimise for many reasons.

I have always wanted to see us jeepers go to GMRS and am glad so see someone making a strong effort to support it.

I just wish I knew the magic answer to what would promulgate the band and radio system nationwide

I know what killed it just as it was starting to grow. As GMRS was just starting to expand cell phones exploded onto the scene and that just about killed it. At its concept stages there were plans to produce inexpensive "neighborhood repeaters" to expand the system and alot of other concepts to expand and implement a unified efficeint system but it all died on the vine so to speak.

Possibly GMRS clubs could start up and get signs posted in roadways around 4 wheel drive areas like the naitonal forests in Colorado etc. that show the monitored frequncies and club names etc.

back in the 70's there were a proliferation of CB clubs, react teams etc. that did promote themselves with signs advertising them and indicating channels were monitored in the area. I remember seeing signs along interstates as I travelled as a young man and would make contacts with these groups.

These groups even solicited local government support and my first 2 police departments monitored CB 9 24-7, and all of our cars had CB radios in case our primary UHF radios and VHF radios failed, (and they did) We responded to calls for help often thru the CB radio as we had miles of interstated and local highways passing through our jurisdictions.

thanks for reading my ramble.

Last edited by dwcrisp; 07-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for posting.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks. Great Info!

I found this thread while researching cb vs 2-way. The info about the GMRS is good to know. I've learned alot already just from reading this thread. Subscribed!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

I have spent the beginning of the summer testing our GMRS units on the local trails. All trails have had at least areas of coverage where I have been able to get out using existing local and freely accessible repeaters. These are areas over 2 hours away from normal cell phone service.

I have GMRS units in 2 vehicles, a potable and a base unit in our shop. I am more convinced now than ever that this an ideal opportunity for increasing coms on the trail.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

hi looking for it's a jk i also live in fresno and wanted to know how your gmrs project has turn out and how the coverage is. if so did you get a repeater up and what freq.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's everyone's pick for a GMRS radio?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Strictly from a cost perspective, it's better to get your ham license for $15 and a Baofeng UV-5R+ for $40. This gives you sooooo much more flexibility. With my Baofeng, I can monitor marine VHF, FRS, GMRS, MURS and so much more with a little programming. Of course you are not supposed to transmit on these frequencies with this device. I don't as I don't have anyone to talk to anyway. CB is OK but the nature of 11 meter makes VHF and UHF so superior for close communications. CB can also get very crowded. Nice part about the Baofeng is that you can go to low power which limits who can hear you.

73's!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Midland now produces 3 new Mobile GMRS radios, a 5 watt (MXT 105), 15 watt (MXT 115), and 40 watt version (MXT 400).

Would like to see these take over for CB for trail/convoy comms. Small form factor, more power, smaller antenna, and better sound (FM).
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKenmore
Strictly from a cost perspective, it's better to get your ham license for $15 and a Baofeng UV-5R+ for $40. This gives you sooooo much more flexibility. With my Baofeng, I can monitor marine VHF, FRS, GMRS, MURS and so much more with a little programming. Of course you are not supposed to transmit on these frequencies with this device. I don't as I don't have anyone to talk to anyway. CB is OK but the nature of 11 meter makes VHF and UHF so superior for close communications. CB can also get very crowded. Nice part about the Baofeng is that you can go to low power which limits who can hear you.

73's!
+1 for the Baofeng. Every single offroader I know in the northwest uses one of these radios.

Quick Reply: Real gmrs as trail communication