Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Rugged Ridge CB mount(footman loop) and sPOD

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nacarislife88
I also just got a spod and had the same issue. I went ahead and did the same as already stated, put an aftermarket above the cb in the dash. Cost me a little but it will pay off in convenience, and style.
What unit did you get? Can you post some pictures? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

I'm getting ready to install the smittybuilt overhead console. I'll post some pics after completion.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mvjeepguy
I'm getting ready to install the smittybuilt overhead console. I'll post some pics after completion.
I'm interested in seeing this. Definitely post pictures once you're done!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by numbah1
I'm interested in seeing this. Definitely post pictures once you're done!

X2, definitely want to see your set up. Thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

You can also try this out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2235937119.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	648952
Old 06-29-2016, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Just a question about the performance concept. I am have been doing a lot of research on this and to my understanding all CBs operate at the same power (assuming you are using a single antenna on the same band). You would get no reception improvements regardless which unit you purchased (unless you buy an absolute piece of junk). The real meat and potatoes of reception comes from the antenna (size and location and tuning) as well as the antenna cable length, routing and electrical interference.

Does anyone have anything that shows actual performance gains based on the CB unit itself?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
I've been wanting to do a spod for quite a while now but I have a Bearcat 880 on the RR bracket and I can tell you two things:

1. Space is at a premium
2. A full size CB bounces A LOT on that RR bracket
Agreed. My full size bounced like crazy. Flipped the top back and strategically placed 3 heavy duty zip ties to the footman loop. Problem 99% solved.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Toxic Tiki
Just a question about the performance concept. I am have been doing a lot of research on this and to my understanding all CBs operate at the same power (assuming you are using a single antenna on the same band). You would get no reception improvements regardless which unit you purchased (unless you buy an absolute piece of junk). The real meat and potatoes of reception comes from the antenna (size and location and tuning) as well as the antenna cable length, routing and electrical interference.

Does anyone have anything that shows actual performance gains based on the CB unit itself?
Buy a cb with higher wattage output my rig does about 60 watts peak output power. I run a 102 inch whip it talks and hears great. Look for a 10 meter mobile unit and convert it to cb. Also referred to as export radios. A single antenna on a narrow vehicle like a jeep is the way to go. Dual cb antennas should be about 8 feet apart. Running dual antennas you'll transmitted signal will be more front to back and less omnidirectional. Omnidirectional it's the radiation pattern your after.

Last edited by Fishbones182; 08-25-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishbones182

Buy a cb with higher wattage output my rig does about 60 watts peak output power. I run a 102 inch whip it talks and hears great. Look for a 10 meter mobile unit and convert it to cb. Also referred to as export radios. A single antenna on a narrow vehicle like a jeep is the way to go. Dual cb antennas should be about 8 feet apart. Running dual antennas you'll transmitted signal will be more front to back and less omnidirectional. Omnidirectional it's the radiation pattern your after.
1. Such a conversion of a radio to CB is illegal. Not judging you or him, but if you're going to suggest someone do something illegal, at least tell him it is (though it's unlikely he'll ever be caught).

2. RF output power is just that. It is the transmit power. It provides zero help receiving. So, unless his trail buddies are also inclined to break the law, he will net zero improvement in hearing them.

3. Optimizing the antenna, as stated by someone else, is the best all-around answer. And it's legal.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Mark I agree with you to a point hence I run the radio I do. My 102 inch whip is why my radio hears as well as it does. I suppose if your with a group you don't really need the wattage. For my needs it fits the bill though. If more people would go get licensed need for cb would diminish. A 2 meter rig will talk a long ways with a good antenna.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge CB mount(footman loop) and sPOD