Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

SoCal Need Help. Borrow an SWR Meter?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SoCal Need Help. Borrow an SWR Meter?

Hi my fellow jeep people. I need some help! I've got a big expedition departing on Friday of this week. I need to install a CB in order to participate in it. And so I've done that. I feel that the install was clean and everything worked really well. However I had a friend who dabbles in radios that said he had an SWR meter and would be able to come over and help me. However his equipment seems to be extremely technologically Advanced we're talking a meter that is probably close to thousand dollars here! Point being is that I'm not sure he knows how to use it or that it works for what I need to do to my fire stick antenna. I have the cobra 75 CB with the quadratec tailgate mount. What I'd like to know is if there are any fellow jeepers in the area with a cheap SWR meter that I could borrow. Or if any local Jeepers would have a couple of minutes to help me tune my antenna. I know it only takes a few minutes and I have watched plenty of online videos I feel I could knock this out pretty quickly I just need that meter. No local shops sell them and it would not get here before Friday if I ordered online. Any help!?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go find a truck stop with a cb shop. They have everything you need in stock or possibly a radio tech on duty. The only cb accessories I can find in my area are at the truck stops.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
Go find a truck stop with a cb shop. They have everything you need in stock or possibly a radio tech on duty. The only cb accessories I can find in my area are at the truck stops.
I thought of that but I live in Huntington Beach and don't remember seeing one around here. The area is so populated and a search in my map didn't pull any up. I'll have to try to find a specific name of a truck stop. Good call though your suggestion confirmed my suspicion that they may have something.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

I ended up getting an Swr meter from a great ham radio shop locally

Now I am able to receive NOAA like they are sitting inside the jeep with me. But on a recent road trip I didn't hear much chatter on 19 and only had one person respond that they could hear me. Is this normal??
Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Machoo
I ended up getting an Swr meter from a great ham radio shop locally Now I am able to receive NOAA like they are sitting inside the jeep with me. But on a recent road trip I didn't hear much chatter on 19 and only had one person respond that they could hear me. Is this normal??
Yeah, with text and bluetooth phones cb's are almost gone. Most of my group runs handheld ham radios on trips. CB quality and range is garbage compared to a $30 ham.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

I ended up getting an Swr meter from a great ham radio shop locally

Now I am able to receive NOAA like they are sitting inside the jeep with me. But on a recent road trip I didn't hear much chatter on 19 and only had one person respond that they could hear me. Is this normal??
Hey there Machoo, Where did you go, I have the same problem.

Thanks, Stoney....
Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tombstone17
Hey there Machoo, Where did you go, I have the same problem. Thanks, Stoney....
Hey Stoney

I went to the Ham Radio Outlet

933 N Euclid St
Anaheim, CA 92801
United States

Great little shop. Very helpful. It wasn't inexpensive however. The meter was like $30 and the jumper cable was like $19.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thank You Machoo, That's the one I found online, I owe you a beer!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tombstone17
Thank You Machoo, That's the one I found online, I owe you a beer!
Hey that sounds like a deal! Haha
Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 PM
JK Newbie

Wanna help me tune mine? I'm in Orange County

Hey Stoney

I went to the Ham Radio Outlet

933 N Euclid St
Anaheim, CA 92801
United States

Great little shop. Very helpful. It wasn't inexpensive however. The meter was like $30 and the jumper cable was like $19.

Quick Reply: SoCal Need Help. Borrow an SWR Meter?