Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Some Basic CB Usage Questions, Including Side Bands

Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Some Basic CB Usage Questions, Including Side Bands

Ok, so we know channel 19 is the main trucker channel, or at least it was for years, and we know channel 9 is for emergency use.

What other channels have particular groups or uses? Every time I tune to channel 6, some wacko is talking crazy. It may be local, but I've driven far enough to hear similar things in other places, unless a couple of guys have ridiculous illegal transmitter power.

Also, my Uniden 980 has upper and lower sideband, but I haven't heard anyone on them yet, at least while scanning. (I've only had it up and running for about a week, so maybe it has just been quiet where i've been driving.)

It says 80 additional channels and triple the power. I know nothing about this, so please help me understand who uses it and why? If it has triple the power, would that make for triple the range? What kind of range can I expect from just AM? A couple miles? How about USB or LSB?

I'm a total novice, so sorry for all the questions. I just want to get the most out of this thing beyond truckers cussing.

Last edited by dmwil; 02-16-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your standard 40 ch CB is regulated at max legal 4 watts. Side band is regulated at 12 watts. There is your "triple power". It's marketing....

Ch 6 is known as the super bowl. These guys are running in the thousands of watts with illegal amplifiers.

When conditions are right try tuning to ch 37 and 38 upper and lower side band. You should hear some people talking "skip". That is people from different parts of the country, or world, bouncing (skipping) signal off the ionosphere. It can be a fun hobby.

You will need to use your clarifier while on side band to fine tune the station in.

Last edited by OH9JK; 02-17-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Your standard 40 ch CB is regulated at max legal 4 watts. Side band is regulated at 12 watts. There is your "triple power". It's marketing....

Ch 6 is known as the super bowl. These guys are running in the thousands of watts with illegal amplifiers.

When conditions are right try tuning to ch 37 and 38 upper and lower side band. You should hear some people talking "skip". That is people from different parts of the country, or world, bouncing (skipping) signal off the ionosphere. It can be a fun hobby.

You will need to use your clarifier while on side band to fine tune the station in.
I wondered where the clarifier would come into play.

So my CB is putting out 12w on the side bands, or is it still 4 but 12 would be what is a lower output on paper?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
I wondered where the clarifier would come into play.

So my CB is putting out 12w on the side bands, or is it still 4 but 12 would be what is a lower output on paper?

Yes, on side band legal output is 12 watts. You would need to use a watt meter to see exactly what your radio output is. Does that help?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've read that some Jeepers over here use channel 16 because "4x4".

Quick Reply: Some Basic CB Usage Questions, Including Side Bands