Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

stock CB Questions

Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. I've never run a stock CB Before and never a cb on a jeep. I have installed a brand new cobra 29 lx. all new firestik ring coax, stud, antenna firestik II that's 3" adjustable. I ground the powder coating off of the mount and off the spare tire carrier where where the mount attaches. I've also installed stainless bolts and washers to get the best ground possible. I can't receive for crap. I can only understand someone if they are in the 1.5 mile range and then they break up after that. I have no swr meter yet. Any ideas please?

Last edited by bvanfossen; 07-11-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool More Questions

1. All things being equal, 1.5 miles may be as good as your reception may get.

2. How far can you transmit? Are you getting a SWR warning on the radio faceplate? If so, stop!

3. You have provided details on the antenna installation, how about the radio? What is your power source
and where do you have it grounded?

4. When you are testing the installation, how close are you to trees and buildings? How far above the top does the antenna extend? Do you have a hard or soft top?

5. I could go on here, but I won't. You need to get hold of a SWR meter and read the instructions on its use. Then reread the installation and operation instructions that came with the radio and antenna and check your work. Some pix of your installation would be helpful. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
1. All things being equal, 1.5 miles may be as good as your reception may get. 2. How far can you transmit? Are you getting a SWR warning on the radio faceplate? If so, stop! 3. You have provided details on the antenna installation, how about the radio? What is your power source and where do you have it grounded? 4. When you are testing the installation, how close are you to trees and buildings? How far above the top does the antenna extend? Do you have a hard or soft top? 5. I could go on here, but I won't. You need to get hold of a SWR meter and read the instructions on its use. Then reread the installation and operation instructions that came with the radio and antenna and check your work. Some pix of your installation would be helpful. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the reply.

Cb shop tested it today. Cb is working fine. 4 dead key, 16 talking. I have it powered through cig lighter. Swr read 1.5. 3 foot firestik extended over the soft top by about 8 inches. I bought a Frances 4.5" and send receive is better. Problem I now believe is the antenna location. Idk. I am open to suggestions to receive and send further though.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Long/high antennas obviously work best. But they snag on everything from trees to garages.

I use a quick-connect with a little 18" rubber-ducky, and keep a 4' inside. Mount is behind the spare tire, and the little antenna is barely visible. The little antenna only works short range, but it's all I normally need. I've tested the 4' over several miles line-of-sight from the hill I live on, but it rarely gets used.

edit: Even though I've talked several miles in a test, it may not do any better than yours at your location. Buildings, trees, etc. all cut range, and a Jeep doesn't have any great antenna locations.

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the. I've been trying different antennas. I would like to skip and talk on channel 6, So I need to get a few more things
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on location and weather conditions you can't always get much further out than that on 2m amateur radio so it's entirely possible that that's as good as it gets on CB in your given location without mounting a seriously long and efficient antenna.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UKCRD
Depending on location and weather conditions you can't always get much further out than that on 2m amateur radio so it's entirely possible that that's as good as it gets on CB in your given location without mounting a seriously long and efficient antenna.
2m isn't the same as the CB wavelength which is closer to 11m so it behaves more like 10m. What that means is it doesn't 'penetrate' as well so things that might not block a 2m signal may very well block a CB signal. Among other things (like buildings and hills) that includes the vehicle(s). The Citizen's Band shines best over flat terrain which is why it was so popular for truckers. Most likely you (the OP) are either experiencing the full capability of the radio or your antenna needs a better perch. There's volumes of antenna theory but things that are like kryptonite are metal and glass (both reflect and/or absorb the electromagnetic radiation emitted/collected by the antenna). I hope this helps illustrate a little what's going on but I realize that most of the time we just don't have enough information about what you have setup despite a great description about your setup.

Quick Reply: stock CB Questions