Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

SWR Meter Readings, want to make sure i am good to go??

Old 03-09-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SWR Meter Readings, want to make sure i am good to go??

Ok guys instead of bringing the Jeep to have someone look at my setup and tune it, I decided to listen to everyone and buy an SWR meter. I think I have it down but want to ensure with everyone here. I also bought a grounding strap to have, just in case, so i'm not sure if that will help my current readings, or if i should just go ahead and throw it on there anyways.

Heres my setup and pictures.

Uniden Bearcat 980 on home made overhead rack ( taken from another member on the forum in write up section )

4ft Firestik antenna on a tailgate mount. I might end up drilling out a bigger hole for the antenna to make it easier and will re check SWR if i do.

My Readings:

1st Set:

1- 2.0
40- 1.4

2nd Set:

1- 1.6
40- 1.5

3rd Set:

1- 1.5
40- 1.3

4th Set:

1- 1.6
40- 1.5

5th Set:

1- 1.5
40- 1.2
20- 1.3

Should i be good to go with the SWR readings on the 5th set or should i do a little more adjusting ?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of your second through 5th readings look great for a general tune. It is impossible to get 1:1 throughout, and there should be a variance on the different frequencies. If you wanted to maximize on a single frequency, you could do that. But your current readings are excellent for general use, and maximizing on a given frequency wouldn't help much.
Best regards,
Dave
Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MD GP
All of your second through 5th readings look great for a general tune. It is impossible to get 1:1 throughout, and there should be a variance on the different frequencies. If you wanted to maximize on a single frequency, you could do that. But your current readings are excellent for general use, and maximizing on a given frequency wouldn't help much.
Best regards,
Dave

Awesome, thank you very much, Dave. I am bringing my SWR with me on the trails this weekend to double check them out in the middle of no where. Now i can do this for all the guys in our group, so we can be on the same page and enjoy our CBs.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Awesome, thank you very much, Dave. I am bringing my SWR with me on the trails this weekend to double check them out in the middle of no where. Now i can do this for all the guys in our group, so we can be on the same page and enjoy our CBs.
Have a great time! The best readings are those taken away from power lines, buildings, etc.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MD GP
Have a great time! The best readings are those taken away from power lines, buildings, etc.
Yeah i did it in some what of an open area but will do one more out there to be safe. Thanks

Quick Reply: SWR Meter Readings, want to make sure i am good to go??