Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

$3 dual band antenna mount

Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $3 dual band antenna mount

I just installed an antenna mount on my 2011 JKU Sahara last week. I wanted to go center mount on the third brake light mount, but couldn't figure out how to make it clear the hardtop wiper so I came up with this alternative for $3.

I started with a 12" reinforcing plate from ACE hardware $3. That was the only cost. The plate comes with predrilled holes. I cut the plate short with just two holes. The first hole was used to bolt the plate to my spare tire carrier. The second hole I drilled out 5/8" for the antenna cable (UHF) base. I ground the edges smooth before painting it. I bolted it to the spare tire mount using stainless fasteners, then attached to antenna mount, and finally the antenna.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0276.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	153578Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0283.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	153577Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0284.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	153579Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0286.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	153576
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

I am using a Comet SBB-5 antenna. I found it to have a good mix of the height I wanted, the amount of gain, it had good reviews, and it is ground plane independent. I mounted it with my bracket and a Comet 3D4M cable. The wires were fed through the grommet in the tailgate, with the stock wires through the cloth strap that stops the gate from swinging out wide, then along the passenger side to under the passenger seat where I mounted the radio. I have a 2011, so the seat has this seemingly useless bracket from the factory. I just removed it, drilled a few holes that matched the bracket for my Yaesu FT-7800, bolted it up, and then replaced the whole assembly back under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0287.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	153580   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0274.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	153581   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0272.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	153582  
Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CRNA
I am using a Comet SBB-5 antenna. I found it to have a good mix of the height I wanted, the amount of gain, it had good reviews, and it is ground plane independent. I mounted it with my bracket and a Comet 3D4M cable. The wires were fed through the grommet in the tailgate, with the stock wires through the cloth strap that stops the gate from swinging out wide, then along the passenger side to under the passenger seat where I mounted the radio. I have a 2011, so the seat has this seemingly useless bracket from the factory. I just removed it, drilled a few holes that matched the bracket for my Yaesu FT-7800, bolted it up, and then replaced the whole assembly back under the seat.
I've been using the SBB-5 for a couple years now. It smacks the garage door every time i come/go. Held up well, good choice.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedDavid
I've been using the SBB-5 for a couple years now. It smacks the garage door every time i come/go. Held up well, good choice.
What rig are you using it with? Where is it mounted? Any problems enountered during the install?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

What rig are you using it with? Where is it mounted? Any problems enountered during the install?
Antenna is mounted to a swing out tire carrier. Using a Kenwood TM-D700. I've had no issues with UHF/VHF from the install to daily use. Not a problem. HF, that's a different story.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Antenna is mounted to a swing out tire carrier. Using a Kenwood TM-D700. I've had no issues with UHF/VHF from the install to daily use. Not a problem. HF, that's a different story.
What problems/corrections did you run into for HF? I plan on swapping out the 7800 soon for one with HF too.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What problems/corrections did you run into for HF? I plan on swapping out the 7800 soon for one with HF too.
HAHA.. Lots of issues with Common Mode currents causing problems with the Jeep electronics. Search the CB/Ham forum for "common mode". You will be starting down an interesting path but several of us have got most of the kinks worked out. It took me almost 2 years off and on to get a good/solid HF install working w/o issues. Probably close to 60 hours chasing down ghosts/bonding/running feedlines/isolating batteries etc. Now that I know what I'm doing or rather what works and doesn't work I figure I could do a fresh install on a new JK in a day.

When you are ready for the HF install start a thread and I'm sure several of us will be happy to help.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Angry Dual Band Antennas

Just out of curiosity, have you ever checked your SWR on 2m and 70cm? I am fighting with 2 meters now on my 2010 JK. Have a different Comet dual band mounted on a home made mount on the tailgate. The tailgate is bonded to the tub, the tub to the frame, the exhaust to the frame, and both bumpers. 70cm is fine, SWR is below 1.4 across the band, but a 2m, the SWR is over 4. So, I dont broadcast on 4.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grady
Just out of curiosity, have you ever checked your SWR on 2m and 70cm? I am fighting with 2 meters now on my 2010 JK. Have a different Comet dual band mounted on a home made mount on the tailgate. The tailgate is bonded to the tub, the tub to the frame, the exhaust to the frame, and both bumpers. 70cm is fine, SWR is below 1.4 across the band, but a 2m, the SWR is over 4. So, I dont broadcast on 4.
In fact I never did till the other day 2m is about 3:1. The mount is rusted so if I can find time this weekend I'm going to clean it up and see what happens. Didn't check 70cm but last weekend I was hitting a repeater more than 60 miles away. Not sure how high up the repeater antenna was but I was at Sea Level in the middle of the desert with minimal obstacles blocking line of sight to where I think the antenna was.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wish I saw this thread two days ago, just installed a Teraflex mount on the rear tire carrier. Would have saved me $30.

Quick Reply: $3 dual band antenna mount