Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

System Interference on HAM 145.500?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Interference on HAM 145.500?

There are some HAM's on our runs and have convinced me to monitor their channel 145.500 in conjunction with the CB. Generally, these radios are very clear and reach much better than the CB's. Problem is, the above freq receives some strong static interference from my rig (2013 JKUR - Auto) despite what sq I enter. I am using a Baofeng Tech BF8HP handheld.

The static occurs with any handheld radio tuned to 145.500. As soon as you are within 2' of the rig the static appears - move more than 2' away, and all is golden. If I turn off the rig, close the doors and wait for 3 sec after the courtesy light extinguishes, the static disappears. as soon as I either open the door, or use the fob to unlock it, the static re-starts. Needless to say, the static is constant as long as I am using the Jeep. This does not occur with other Jeeps I have tried.

As far as add on electronics, all I have are Trucklite headligts, a CD hardwired to the batt (which is off for the above tests), an sPod wired to two Rigid D2 Driving lights and a 10" LED light on the winch. All these are off. I even disconnected the sPod fuse to disable that device.

Sounds like the security system or BCM. Any Ideas? Am I correct that per FCC regs, the Jeep systems shall not interfere with this band?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the noise only on 145.500? Is it so strong that you cannot eliminate it by closing the squelch?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Beofeng is not a type accepted radio. I have a couple of them and while they work fairly well the quality is not the highest. I also have a Yaesu and it does not get the interference that you speak of which I have also experienced with my beofeng. Have also used a mobile rig in the Jeep on vhf with no interference so might not be the Jeeps fault.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Is the noise only on 145.500? Is it so strong that you cannot eliminate it by closing the squelch?
Yup, only on that freq and no matter what sq I set.

For or the price, I don't expect the best quality, but a variety of handhelds do the same thing around my Jeef, none others.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

If that's the situation, then perhaps your friends would be willing to change to another simplex freq, e.g. 146.520 or 146.550. Not much point trying to troubleshoot the issue if it's only on that one frequency. Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for your help and replies.. The problem has diminished some and I have been able to narrow the area of interference by using the ht as a signal meter It appears the source is from the dash area, centered favoring the drivers side. I can avoid static on 145.500 if I lay the ht horizontal in my lap.

I was able to get the guys to change fq this last run and monitoring the channel was so much better than using the CB.

Will post updates if I get any.

Quick Reply: System Interference on HAM 145.500?