Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Teraflex Hi-Lift jack mount

Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex Hi-Lift jack mount

I was wondering if anyone is running the Teraflex hilift Jack mount and using the CB antenna mount it comes with. I have been and my cb range was like 100ft. So yesterday I took my jeep to the local CB shop (great place btw) and the owner tried to tune in my cb. He said my antenna was reflecting off my jack. While tuning I removed the jack and like magic I could hear transmissions.

The shop owner advised me you need at least 4 inches around the antenna to be clear at a minimum. So my question is who designed this thing? Why would you put a giant metal jack right next to a cb antenna. For right now I just took removed the jack and threw in the back until I figure something out.

I will say this, after we were done. I tested with a buddy, who also had his cb tuned at the same place, and we were getting about a 4-5 mile range. I guess if you do things the right way, it works.

My set up is a cobra 75. I originally had a 4ft firestick with the 18ft firestick wire (btw, that stupid ring has a + and - they don't tell you about). We replaced that wire with just a regular piece of bigger coax and my antenna with a Wilson whip.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Teraflex HD hinge with Accessory mount if that's what you're talking about. I also have a cobra 75. I DID run into an issue. When the high lift is not mounted, no problem and I actually liked how the mount pulled the antenna away from the hinge where I had it mounted before. (behind the spare tire) But the first time on the trail with the high lift mounted up, no dice. Tossed my SWR off the chart and blew fuses with the hi lift mounted. Never could get it dialed in safely. I ended up taking my previous hinge mount, flipping it backwards, shimming it with washers, and installing it on the Drivers side to space it apart from the jack. That solved the problem. I actually have a thread on here about it. I will see if I can find it and post a link. Funny thing is, there are plenty of people that used that mount with the hi lift (so they say) with no issues.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

As promised, here is the link:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...arrier-320998/
Old 07-28-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me

That is awesome man. That is exactly what I was talking about.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last Wranger had a Cobra 75 with a 3ft Firestick mounted between the spare and tailgate. It always had engine noise & static... and didn't seem to receive weak signals very well. So on this Jeep I installed a Uniden 520, a Wilson antenna and mounted it to the front bumper. This set-up is static free, receives weak signals very well, and can be heard 5 miles away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	619569  
Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

I know that front mount option is optimal, I just don't like the looks of it. Since 1.5-2 miles is all the range I need, or until I run into an issue, i'll keep what I have for now.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Hi-Lift jack mount