Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Trying to decide on which CB

Old 02-19-2015, 01:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00
The Midland 75-822 caught my attention because it could be taken out and used. Understandably for short range, but that is what I would be taking it out to use as a handheld for anyways. My thoughts if I were to go with this unit was to get a small handheld mic to plug into it so that I wouldn't have to use the actual unit with the power and antenna cord attached to hold and talk. (make sense?) This way if for some reason I needed to exit the vehicle and yet still communicate with someone on the trail I could still do that. I would probably get a versamount2 to hold the unit.
If you're saying that you could plug a mic into something left in the Jeep and then remove the rest of the unit so you could talk between yourself on the trail and someone in the Jeep, I don't think the Midland will support that. That is certainly a valid need--but you really need a separate, handheld radio for that. I typically carry one in addition to a 75WXST. Not only is it useful for a spotter/photographer, but it serves as a back-up radio should someone have a problem on the trail (bear in mind that my trips are typically 3-10 day expeditions with no support other than what we're carrying).
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of the ones on your list I have had two.
I would never recommend the 75wxst its junk, bad speaker, broke at about 14 months.
I have the pro 520XL and I am happy with it, although if like you state it doesn't have the weather channels.
I used the RR bracket placed above the rear view mirror. Hard to beat the price and quality of the 520XL radio
Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
I would never recommend the 75wxst its junk, bad speaker, broke at about 14 months.
I've had mine for almost 3 years
Old 02-20-2015, 01:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
Out of the ones on your list I have had two.
I have the pro 520XL and I am happy with it, although if like you state it doesn't have the weather channels.
I used the RR bracket placed above the rear view mirror. Hard to beat the price and quality of the 520XL radio
Originally Posted by DJ1
I've had mine for almost 3 years
Over seven years here. Some folks do complain that the speaker isn't loud enough. It's never been an issue for me. Perhaps, having 4500 hours listening to multiple radios while flying EC-103E/ABCCC aircraft, I'm just used to listening to radio chatter with lots of background noise.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

so the Cobra 75 was my first CB, and comparing it to my HAM radio's it lacks a lot to be desired IMO.. and maybe I'm in the minority but my review of the Cobra 75 is still giving it a low rating thus a poor choice. the pro 520xl on the other hand, IMO, is a better radio and for less cost the only drawback is it doesn't have the weather channels which is part of why the cost is lower.
if the weather channels are needed I would suggest one of the others if you have the spot to install it. The one nice thing with the cobra 75 is installation.. I would rate that very good.
I am glad you guys had better luck with the 75 then I did, but even with items that maybe good there is always a few bad ones and maybe I got one... I would still recommend the others over it.

here is the installation of the 520xl above the rear view mirror.
One thing if you want to remove it you will need to cut the power wires and install a molex connector so you can disconnect it.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 02-20-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added picture and notes
Old 02-20-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

That's why I liked the midland... No effort installing and if it goes bad I was only out like $40. It does everything a weekend warrior needs and when an external antenna is used it does it well enough that I have yet to have a complaint... I know some guys use theirs much more but for a few trial rides a year and some highway trips it serves me well.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no CB expert (far from it) and have no need for all of the features of the Uniden 980SSB but I also like having options--- whether or not I'll ever use them is moot, really. Honestly with all the options you get with it the cost isn't that bad (roughly $110 on Amazon).

I'm considering the 980SSB.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had the midland 75-822 in for about 6 months now and it has been great. I have it hard wired with the antenna mounted at the third brake light. Decent coverage. I don't know about the rest but I would recommend this one especially if just starting.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by numbah1
I'm no CB expert (far from it) and have no need for all of the features of the Uniden 980SSB but I also like having options--- whether or not I'll ever use them is moot, really. Honestly with all the options you get with it the cost isn't that bad (roughly $110 on Amazon).

I'm considering the 980SSB.
I paid only 15 bucks more for the 980 than the 880, and I love gadgets, so I figured I'd get at least my money's worth playing with it.

I liked my 75, but the connector problems were unacceptable. 90% of the time, the CB wasn't even connected. It was sitting in my console. When it was connected, there was no undue stress on the connector. I've got a new box, so I'm going to set it up with a cigarette lighter power cord and keep it as a back-up or to loan to Jeep friends. I've got an old magnetic antenna for that.

The 980 is night and day better, though. Its speaker is much more clear and loud, and weather channel reception is much better. The jury is out on the cb reception, as I've not had enough experience to gauge it. I'm betting though, that when properly tuned, it will be about the same.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Single sideband isn't very popular among Jeepers, and conversations between SSB and AM radios are difficult to mostly impossible (for technical reasons--ask and I will explain, or just Google it). And, while most SSB radios have an Amplitude Modulated Equivalent (AME) mode that will allow conversations with those with the more typical AM CB radios, why spend the money on SSB if you're not going to use it? On top of that, a person talking on an AM (or AME) radio on channel 4 will wipe out both sidebands of channel 4. Contrary to popular misconception, there are not extra channels for SSB. They just split up the 40 existing AM channels into 40 upper sideband and 40 lower sideband channels (80 total). But those channels are still shared with everyone out there using AM/AME modes.
I've no idea what is popular in your world and wouldn't claim to but you seem to be implying the 980 SSB can't be used to talk to other radios on one of the standard 40 cb channels which is ludicrous. Look around and you'll see more of these radios in operation all the time. There is a group of us here that use the sideband for a bit more privacy and range and it works well for that due to there being less traffic when used in that mode but on the center channels they work as good as any other radio and better than most. I've used SSB radios for 40 years to now discover they don't work because someone thinks they aren't popular enough.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on which CB