Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Trying to decide on which CB

Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Syko

I've no idea what is popular in your world and wouldn't claim to but you seem to be implying the 980 SSB can't be used to talk to other radios on one of the standard 40 cb channels which is ludicrous. Look around and you'll see more of these radios in operation all the time. There is a group of us here that use the sideband for a bit more privacy and range and it works well for that due to there being less traffic when used in that mode but on the center channels they work as good as any other radio and better than most. I've used SSB radios for 40 years to now discover they don't work because someone thinks they aren't popular enough.
What I wrote is technically correct. You must not have understood it. Please bear mind I have a half century of radio maintenance experience, and am a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant avionics superintendent. I had a technician class ham radio license in the 1960s--probably before you were born. If you'd like further, detailed explanations of how sideband and amplitude modulation work, I can certainly provide it.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What I wrote is technically correct. You must not have understood it. Please bear mind I have a half century of radio maintenance experience, and am a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant avionics superintendent. I had a technician class ham radio license in the 1960s--probably before you were born. If you'd like further, detailed explanations of how sideband and amplitude modulation work, I can certainly provide it.
You don't seem to understand. Nobody here is trying to build a radio from scratch so all the credentials in the world mean nothing. I know quite well how they work and how to use them. If you need help let me know. You did give me one good laugh though. I remember the 50s and 60s (at least parts of them) all too well.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bearcat 980 my vote...
Old 02-21-2015, 12:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Syko
I've no idea what is popular in your world and wouldn't claim to but you seem to be implying the 980 SSB can't be used to talk to other radios on one of the standard 40 cb channels which is ludicrous. ...
No, I did not say that. This is exactly what I wrote:

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
... And, while most SSB radios have an Amplitude Modulated Equivalent (AME) mode that will allow conversations with those with the more typical AM CB radios ...
As for what's used in my "world", my part of the world is pretty much the entire continental U.S. That is, I've been all over the country in my Jeep, from northwest Washington to Maine to the border with Mexico in southern California to southern Georgia (check out DigitalByDoiron on YouTube). In 158K miles of driving it four or five times a year to those various places, including half a dozen trips to Moab and one Easter Jeep Safari, with a wide variety of people from all over the country in their own Jeeps and other off-road vehicles, I've never had anyone suggest that we should use SSB. Never. And I've never heard a trucker conversation with the characteristic Donald Duck sounds of SSB (when listened to on an AM radio). I'm not saying don't buy an SSB rig. If you or anyone wants one, fine. Just make sure it has an AME mode. But, I am saying that if there's another rig out there with more desirable features, or that's cheaper (which is pretty standard), SSB is not needed. SSB should not be a consideration in a CB radio. It's virtually useless for the typical Jeeper. If one of those radios works for you, great. But I stand by each and everything I've written on this.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-21-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fitzb
Bearcat 980 my vote...
Same here. Local shop has a box full of the Cobra 75s that have bit the dust for one reason or another so I knew when I wanted another radio that wasn't going to be the way to go. The 980 is both compact and the latest technology capable. i.e. wireless mike, if you want to get rid of that cord that always seems to get in the way. Some here are using the wireless and they work OK and serve a purpose but they don't offer near the quality of performance of a D104 as an example. Wireless is also expensive which may matter to some. I tried one but being old school I prefer the 104 so I gave the thing to someone else who thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert but I do know what works for me and those around me. There are many worse choices than the 980.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the 980, still awaiting the arrival of it but will let you know how it goes when i install it.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to dirty the CB waters but considering your stated intended use/purpose a GMRS/FRS radio might also work. Those are the two way radios you see everywhere. Or the best yet would be a HAM radio programmed to operate on GMRS/FRS frequencies. Unfortunately the CB frequencies are mostly excluded from HAM radios but it would be nice if there was an affordable HAM radio option that could handle them. What you get when you go from CB to HAM is more functionality/capability. CB radios are great but perform best in wide open spaces due to the frequency which they operate at. A mobile CB (one that is mounted in your vehicle with an external antenna) is nice but doesn't transition as easily to a handheld device (something you would take on the trail). The plus side to getting a HAM radio is if you wanted you could get your license (which is about $15 for 10 years) and still have the flexibility to communicate with non licensed individuals on the GMRS/FRS frequencies (the benefits of licensed HAM radios boils down to much greater power which means control over things like not being heard because you're just a little too far away). Unlike a handheld CB inside my wife's vehicle which has difficulty getting through her Toyota Camry a handheld GMRS/FRS handheld works just fine and I can use my mobile/mounted radio in my Jeep. I apologize if this isn't what was wanted, but in case it is I hope it is helpful.

Last edited by CombatDiver; 02-28-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Hi,
Considering some of the previous posts, this is obviously a contentious issue.
I have a Cobra 75 in my 98 TJ, and a Uniden 510 (basically the same as the 520 without PA) in my JKU. The 510 is mounted on the right side of the console with a mount I got through Qudratec: it takes up no otherwise usable room. I prefer the 510 over the 75, but the 75 is good in the TJ due to limited space. I have a Midland handheld which is a nice combination with either of these. I haven't experienced the newer Midland combination mounted/handheld.
I have my ham technician license and a GMRS license. I use a Yaesu 2m rig in the same location as the 510 in my JK. I also have a Yaesu handheld. Both are superior to CB for line of sight communication. I have several GMRS handhelds, and the license allows using them with family. Most people ignore the GMRS licensing requirement. Anyway, GMRS is also superior to CB in line of sight communication.
At any rate, all of these can be good devices depending on whom you are communicating with. I believe that CB remains the most popular for wheeling, but I know that some clubs are going to 2M ham, even though some members remain unlicensed. Ham is generally more popular in the "overlanding" group.
If I were you, I would start with either the Cobra or the Uniden 510/520 and then consider getting you licenses for the other radio services.
Best regards,
Dave
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i like the midland 822 -75

use a 2 foot firestik ( good enough ) make your own bracket for two bucks lol for holder

cons . light only stays on a few seconds in dark location ( no biggie though)
rubber ducky antenna prob useless besides getting weather station.
The cord attachment tends to want to slide out of cig. lighter ( a little duct tape works well around the adapter and the lighter cover or electrical tape )

pros ~ like it a lot small & no room taken up , portable, many functions . i like the looks of it personally
i have 2 foot and 3 foot fire stik for use.
The cobra 75 is nice too ,* see mark D ~ i just opted for midland 822 -75 because its portable and thats a real nice feature
Im More than satisfied with it . Find it hard to really fault / unless your going for super long distance
That was not its intention anyway . Speaker is decent prob wont need external unless your hearing isnt good , and as you said has iinputs for mic and speaker aux
Good luck let us know your choice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167 (2).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	600899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212 (2).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	600900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779 (2).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	600901  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-12-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

We run a Midland 75-822 and it works well both on the road (for weather radio mostly) and on the trail.
We also have a dual band Ham radio with a remote head.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dulal Band.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	602159
This was the Ham mounted in our Liberty on a goose neck mounted to the passengers seat bolt.
I had the main radio unit mounted under the steering wheel.

We don't have it installed in our JKU as of yet due to only owning the Jeep for a month and being stuck in
the hospital on and off for the last 49 days.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on which CB