Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Trying to decide on which CB

Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAG00
I am new to the CB world and would like some help on choosing a CB.

It would be mainly for using it for off-road, occasional long road trips to see what is going on and for weather info.

I have been looking on the rightchannelradios.com website and reading reviews along with thread on here. The radios I looked at are:
  • Cobra 75WXST (has weather, no PA) - compact unit; may need external speaker
  • Midland 75-822 (has weather, no PA) - this unit is a portable handheld unit.
  • Midland 1001 LWX (has weather and PA) - slightly smaller size than a full sized unit
  • Uniden 980 SSB or 880 (has weather, PA and built in SWR) - full sized unit
  • Uniden Pro 520 XL (no weather but has PA) - slightly smaller size than a full sized unit

All seem to get pretty good reviews. I was wondering if you all had any thoughts on a specific unit. I know that the Cobra 75 seems to be pretty popular.

Also, any thoughts on getting one that has the PA feature?

What about the Midland handheld unit? Seems like it would be good for trails in that you could take it out and communicate with another driver while spotting.

I have a Midland 75-822, the problem with it is that the range is very short, especially with the small rubber antenna. Since the range was bad on that, I got the Uniden Pro 520. It is nice because it is smaller than other units and is, therefore easier to mount. I put it right on the front of the glove box. The antenna is on the tailgate. For super long distance, I use the ICOM Ham radio. Here is a photo of all my comms. The yellow one on the right is the GMRS/FRS for talking to the family in the boat on the lake.

There is one other good thing about the Midland handheld. As a spotter, and trail lead, you can use it outside the vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	602372

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on which CB