Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

VHF vs CB

Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VHF vs CB

As outlined on another thread, up north here we have an issue with CB reception and have found no solution for this problem. It is so bad that a standard 12$ GMRS gets better distance. We have been told by radio shops and truck drivers that it is interference up here in the radio waves.

So, we are slowly moving to 2-Way VHF radios. We have a local radio shop that has set us up with our own Jeep channel and radio prices comparable to a good CB set up.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this in your specific area.

Motorola radio on Quadratec console side mount. Basic VHF mobile antenna .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3719516170.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	656534   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2881176871.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	656535  
Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks to me like you found a decent solution. I would guess all that noise on CB is "skip"? Does it last all night and day, or just sometimes?
Old 09-14-2016, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A group of us "down" here in Ohio are doing the same thing. Switching to what he US calls GMRS. The radios are relatively cheap (~$100) and the license is easy to get. You get better power output, FM vs. AM, and UHF (462-467 MHz). MUCH clearer, much better distance.

CB sucks. I still have one in the Jeep. I just don't like to use it unless I have to.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these CB-like boxes for GMRS, or the FRS/GMRS hand held radios?

I currently carry 4 of the FRS radios when I lead a group and I pass them out, and it helps greatly being that many show up with no CB nor FRS radios. It would be nice to have a single box that could go back and forth between CB and FRS/GMRS so that I don't need to run the CB and have the hand held bouncing around.

I currently use a Midland 75-822 handheld CB with an external magnet mount antenna on the front cowling, and I use COBRA CRX825 Ni-CAD rechargeable FRS radios. The Midland handheld works surprisingly well with an external antenna, with the short rubber antenna that comes on it, it is useless.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I haven't found anything that will do both CB (AM) and UHF/VHF (FM). I still have a Cobra 75 I used for CB. I'm sure someone makes something, I've seen some come close (Chinese junk) but they usually lack something, like AM on the CB channels. Of course, it would likely be illegal (technically) to use these on FRS/GMRS/CB.

The radio I have for GMRS is a Leixen I got from Amazon. It is stickered to say it's FCC Part 97 accepted (legal for GMRS frequencies). Whether that's legit - anyone's guess. I'll play dumb. As a licensed ham, I'm not going to risk my license too openly.

https://www.amazon.com/LEIXEN-VV-898...eywords=leixen

It's range is crap from a Ham Radio standpoint, especially since my antenna is on top of my tire carrier, right next to my Hilift. But it's still a lot better than CB.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For close-in communications, VHF will almost always be more reliable that HF.

I don't have a CB in my Jeep, but do have VHF and UHF through an Icom ID-5100.

Of course I have the required amateur radio licensing required to use it. If advice those looking into VHF to just get your entry level amateur (ham) radio license and an appropriate radio.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was pretty cool!

Midland MXT100 GMRS MicroMobile 2-Way Radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7XNWAK..._e5A4xbWT65049

Midland GMRS. Mag mount us a problem of course. Nice little radio though. I would go with GMRS in the States. It's unregulated as far as I can tell (I know it is supposed to be but so is CB 11 meter). As a licensed ham, I stick to the ham bands which offers any and all frequency options.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MrKenmore
I thought this was pretty cool!

Midland MXT100 GMRS MicroMobile 2-Way Radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7XNWAK..._e5A4xbWT65049

Midland GMRS. Mag mount us a problem of course. Nice little radio though. I would go with GMRS in the States. It's unregulated as far as I can tell (I know it is supposed to be but so is CB 11 meter). As a licensed ham, I stick to the ham bands which offers any and all frequency options.
It is NOT unregulated. You need to obtain a license, which is really easy to get. As a ham, this gives me the opportunity to communicate with non-hams over FM. FRS is another option, but the range is limited.

An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a five-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license. After a license expires, an individual must request a new GMRS license.

You may apply for a GMRS license if you are 18 years or older and not a representative of a foreign government. If you receive a license, any family member, regardless of age, can operate GMRS stations and units within the licensed system.
The license fee is $65 for 5 years, IIRC.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this thread. Been looking for a vhf since that's what the fire service uses in my area. Is there any shops in socal that I can call? I'm looking for something small that I can put behind the glovebox
Old 12-14-2016, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stew
Bumping this thread. Been looking for a vhf since that's what the fire service uses in my area. Is there any shops in socal that I can call? I'm looking for something small that I can put behind the glovebox
Are you looking to just monitor the fire service? Can likely do that with a small scanner. Look at Uniden. No transmit, of course.

If you're wanting to operate and communicate with the fire service, I'd suggest contacting your coordinating entity for whatever fire team you're on and ask who configured their radio as you'd likely not be able to communicate with them unless they configured the radio for you. I'd assume it's a non-ham band radio built to operate on specific frequencies they use.

Quick Reply: VHF vs CB