Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

What or which CB ?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the tone of the question a standard mobile unit should suffice. As far as handhelds, they don't operate well from inside a vehicle (although Wranglers don't have too much trouble since they have non ferrous uppers). As indicated the radio tends to be the lesser significant variable with the antenna and location key to successful communication. Even a handheld can function well if it has a really good antenna in a good place (ideally outside the vehicle some place). With regard to power, 4 watts gets you some distance over flat open ground and the wavelength/frequency of the CB does some 'bending' around some terrain (it also bounces as mentioned about making contacts far beyond the horizon, by bouncing off the atmosphere). I know those of us who are really into radios almost immediately say things that confuse and scare regular folk so I hope I have explained it in a way that was helpful.

The caveat to HAM radio doesn't require everyone to get a license since most radios can be programmed to work with GMRS and FRS radios which are readily available for anyone to buy/use. You can buy and use HAM radios on those frequencies without a license as long as you don't use the higher output. A HAM radio gives you additional flexibility and the option to later get a license if you want.

Last edited by CombatDiver; 11-14-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Can anyone tell me if the cobra 19DX iv is a good radio for trail runs
Old 11-23-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

I'm looking at the uniden 880 cb radio to buy anyone can tell me if that's a good radio for trail runs
Old 11-23-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 980 and love it. Also recently got my ham license and the yaesu ft-60 for portable ham use.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running the uniden 880, and have been very impressed with it. Like you, I had no clue about CB Radios but I somehow knew what I wanted. I wanted a more modern looking unit so it didn't look out of place in the front of the cab as well as a built in calibration too, because when it comes to optimizing radios for signal and transition strength.... I have no clue. This feature was important to me. I also liked that the unit was 3 inches shorter than the cobra 29xl and had a multi color display.

The unit itself had a quality build and the speaker is beyond loud, which is the reason I didn't go with the smaller midland or cobra 75 model. I mounted mine up high on a mount I fabricated.

CB Magazing also has a YouTube video on this exact model. It has two parts and essentially explains everything, what it does and how to use it. It's worth a look.

Build 9/10 " cb mic mount screws were to small"
Looks 10/10
Ease of use 9.5/10 " instructions were not good"
Sound clarity/ quality 10/10

My set up:
Uniden 880
18 ft Amazon cable
Rugged Ridge cb antenna mount
screw mount antenna holder "firestik brand"
HD spring " firestik brand" hd is a must stay away from the light and Medium duty springs.
4ft firestik.

Side note* I did have to bend the rigged ridge antenna mount as the antenna would not clear the stock rubicon tire and I did not have to file off the paint to obtain an SWr of 1.0

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1746784720.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	586337
Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by joelquiala
I'm looking at the uniden 880 cb radio to buy anyone can tell me if that's a good radio for trail runs
See my other post page 2
Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a Galaxy 939 mounted right on top of the center dash, and sometimes it seems like you have to key it a couple of times before it works right, using the license plate antenna mount.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue7
I am running the uniden 880, and have been very impressed with it. Like you, I had no clue about CB Radios but I somehow knew what I wanted. I wanted a more modern looking unit so it didn't look out of place in the front of the cab as well as a built in calibration too, because when it comes to optimizing radios for signal and transition strength.... I have no clue. This feature was important to me. I also liked that the unit was 3 inches shorter than the cobra 29xl and had a multi color display.

The unit itself had a quality build and the speaker is beyond loud, which is the reason I didn't go with the smaller midland or cobra 75 model. I mounted mine up high on a mount I fabricated.

CB Magazing also has a YouTube video on this exact model. It has two parts and essentially explains everything, what it does and how to use it. It's worth a look.

Build 9/10 " cb mic mount screws were to small"
Looks 10/10
Ease of use 9.5/10 " instructions were not good"
Sound clarity/ quality 10/10

My set up:
Uniden 880
18 ft Amazon cable
Rugged Ridge cb antenna mount
screw mount antenna holder "firestik brand"
HD spring " firestik brand" hd is a must stay away from the light and Medium duty springs.
4ft firestik.

Side note* I did have to bend the rigged ridge antenna mount as the antenna would not clear the stock rubicon tire and I did not have to file off the paint to obtain an SWr of 1.0

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Attachment 586337
Great review and that thing looks nice. By any chance do you know the real differences between the 880 and 980 ? Im digging the modern look of these things and especially how you mounted yours. I think for mine i will place it just like yours just on the other side closer to the headrest only because i have an SPOD.

Quick Reply: What or which CB ?