Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Whip antenna for cb

Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Aaaaahhh that makes sense. Well i would want to rig it so i can bend it down and have the end somewhere near the front windshield for hiway travel and when needed. Isnt that a good enuf work around?

Securing the antenna would satisfy my concerns, but I seldom get to make the rules.

Securing the antenna as is normally done, will affect the operation and efficiency in a negative way and negate the performance advantages. Also the securing device must not let the antenna come in contact with the body, or chassis ground and thereby short the transmitter to ground. There used to be plastic clips that would do the job. One could use heavy monofilament fish line to tie it down.

Phil
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always use the whip when practical and just switch out to a smaller, lower efficiency antenna on the trail.

You generally don't need a particularly efficient rig to talk to other Jeeps in close proximity anyway.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by arjeeper
You could always use the whip when practical and just switch out to a smaller, lower efficiency antenna on the trail.

You generally don't need a particularly efficient rig to talk to other Jeeps in close proximity anyway.

Agreed, depending on the hobby priority being pursued, and the tolerance of unnecessary distractions. For me radio was a business. Now it is a tool, and long range is almost never a need. Simple is better.

Phil
Old 04-26-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by psouza
Agreed, depending on the hobby priority being pursued, and the tolerance of unnecessary distractions. For me radio was a business. Now it is a tool, and long range is almost never a need. Simple is better. Phil
As a ham, I have plenty of solutions for long range anyway. CB only useful in limited,close-in situations.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If im miles and miles deep in some wilderness alone i want long distance lol.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

If im miles and miles deep in some wilderness alone i want long distance lol.
Then frankly, you probably don't want to rely on CB.

But if that's the case and CB is all you have (which is fine), then yes, a full size 102" whip is probably best.

And if you're in the woods all alone, no one will tell you to run a shorter antenna anyway.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm hardcore HAM and well equipped in the communication department in my Jeep but would love a full wave length whip (most likely fiber glass instead of SS) simply because of the wow effect. I grew up on Army bases and loved seeing the whip antennas bent over and secured to the front bumper of both Jeeps and Antennas whiles driving around base. So while I haven't done it I would if I found one for a reasonable price not only for the effectiveness of the full wavelength antenna but also the look (AR guys know what I'm talking about, we're talking tacticool!).
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aaaaahhh that makes sense. Well i would want to rig it so i can bend it down and have the end somewhere near the front windshield for hiway travel and when needed. Isnt that a good enuf work around?
I have done just what you are talking about. I put a ball mount on the right rear fender and when putting it in the garage, I pull the antenna forward and clip it on the rain gutter.
I use a quick antenna disconnect so I can switch between antennas, one for 20 Meters HAM, 40 Meters, and a 102" whip for CB. If you set it up right, you could switch out the antenna for a Firestick also.

The problem with the 102" whip on the trail, at least in the East, is that it hits every single branch and flies all over the place when it "whips" back to vertical. This gets to be very annoying after several hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130629_155820_219.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	561109Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-14_09-03-19_836.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	561110
Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
I have done just what you are talking about. I put a ball mount on the right rear fender and when putting it in the garage, I pull the antenna forward and clip it on the rain gutter.
I use a quick antenna disconnect so I can switch between antennas, one for 20 Meters HAM, 40 Meters, and a 102" whip for CB. If you set it up right, you could switch out the antenna for a Firestick also.

The problem with the 102" whip on the trail, at least in the East, is that it hits every single branch and flies all over the place when it "whips" back to vertical. This gets to be very annoying after several hours.

Attachment 561109Attachment 561110
I have seen your Jeep around Chantilly a few time. You could give a class on how to build a JK. Very nice.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
I have seen your Jeep around Chantilly a few time. You could give a class on how to build a JK. Very nice.

Thank you. It is a labor of love. Some things I try, don't like, and undo, but most stay. It has taken me 4 years of small changes to get it where it is.

Hey, if you are interested, we could go out on the trail some time. July 5th, some friends and I have a trip planned to CHAOS in Winchester. http://chaosoffroad.com/

You are welcome to attend if you like.

Quick Reply: Whip antenna for cb