Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Whip antenna for cb

Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response and the pics. I will probably do just what u did also. Question, can the antenna be plastidipped safely? Would it sacrifice function?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Thanks for the response and the pics. I will probably do just what u did also. Question, can the antenna be plastidipped safely? Would it sacrifice function?
You can plastidip the antenna and the mount, but you must be careful that the connections between them are not coated however. Also make sure that the mount is making direct contact with the metal of the body. Scrape the paint off to make sure, and use those lock washers with lots of teeth around the edge to bite into the metal. You can hit it with a rattle can after everything is completely tightened up so it doesn't rust.

Here are a few closeup photos, I installed the AEV corner guards and the antenna is now mounted on it. Also, just as important is the antenna mount. I have this one, and it is the absolute best mount you can buy. https://breedlovemounts.com/CB_antenna_ballmount.html I also used the Breedlove Puck baseplate so no bolts are showing on the outside.

https://breedlovemounts.com/images/f...4e951a3c09.gif

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-22 20.35.38.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	561359
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used some of the Breedlove mounts. Best quality I've seen.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, whips are bad for spotters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4260403266.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	561930  
Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, if you insulate your antenna (ie. plasti-dip) the SWR will change. How much, I can't say. This is why those fiberglass model instructions tell you to put the cap on each time when checking the SWR, during tuning.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rayster
Yes, if you insulate your antenna (ie. plasti-dip) the SWR will change. How much, I can't say. This is why those fiberglass model instructions tell you to put the cap on each time when checking the SWR, during tuning.
The resonance of the typical tunable fiberglass whip (Firestick) will drop in frequency by approximately 200 KHz if coated by a dense layer of polymer plastic. Almost nothing is "transparent" to RF and when placed in proximity to the close windings on the antenna shaft (there are two of these on the four foot Firestick). The material adds capacity to the circuit, reducing the resonance and increases dielectric losses (reduces the "Q") thus reducing efficiency. Antennas without these concentrated windings will not be affected as much.

Phil

Last edited by psouza; 06-26-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psouza
The resonance of the typical tunable fiberglass whip (Firestick) will drop in frequency by approximately 200 KHz if coated by a dense layer of polymer plastic. Almost nothing is "transparent" to RF and when placed in proximity to the close windings on the antenna shaft (there are two of these on the four foot Firestick). The material adds capacity to the circuit, reducing the resonance and increases dielectric losses (reduces the "Q") thus reducing efficiency. Antennas without these concentrated windings will not be affected as much.

Phil
Very nice detail...

Quick Reply: Whip antenna for cb