Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Which wire to tap for Dimmer

Old 09-16-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wire to tap for Dimmer

I am wiring up my Uniden BCT15 scanner and I need to tap into a wire inside the dash that provides power when the parking/driving lights turn on. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

as far as i know all dash wiring inside the jeep is multiplexed, i had to go to the white/green wire under the main fuse box under the hood for parking lights
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you mean by multiplexed... I'm pretty good with wiring, but have never heard that term before ... do you by chance know what color the wire may be coming from the switch? Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

multiplex wiring is found in most Chrysler vehicles. Say for parking lights at the switch it may use one wire for both head lights and for parking lights. It may send 5.6k ohms of resistance for parking lights and say 1.3k ohms for head lights. the body control module reads this resistance and sends a trigger to the appropriate under hood relays to turn the circuit on. This is why in most cases use the basic 12v circuits found under the hood instead of the dash wiring. If you were to put straight ground to a multiplexed wire you could essentially fry the BCM You may be able to find a courtesy light wire somewhere but i can tell you that the switch wires in the Jk ARE multiplexed So just run the wire out to the fuse box. When you flip it over it will be at the bottom and its white with a green tracer. It will test positive when the switch is on.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James76
multiplex wiring is found in most Chrysler vehicles. Say for parking lights at the switch it may use one wire for both head lights and for parking lights. It may send 5.6k ohms of resistance for parking lights and say 1.3k ohms for head lights. the body control module reads this resistance and sends a trigger to the appropriate under hood relays to turn the circuit on. This is why in most cases use the basic 12v circuits found under the hood instead of the dash wiring. If you were to put straight ground to a multiplexed wire you could essentially fry the BCM You may be able to find a courtesy light wire somewhere but i can tell you that the switch wires in the Jk ARE multiplexed So just run the wire out to the fuse box. When you flip it over it will be at the bottom and its white with a green tracer. It will test positive when the switch is on.
Well I definately learned a lot!!! Thanks for such an in depth reply! I will look for that wire tomorrow... is there only going to be one white w/green tracer wire under there? Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

if you want to wait till tomorrow i can take a picture of it....it was the only one i could find...just use a test light if you dont want to wait tho. tip the fuse box towards the battery and itll be towards the bottom and towards the engine side....mine was sticking right out...so FYI Multiplex is commonly referred to as MUX
Old 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I should, keyword 'should', be fine finding it... thanks!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

10-4 Keep the shiny side up!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is an orange wire with a grey stripe behind the center stack, it goes to the illumination for the climate controls. I've tapped into it for various reasons, maybe easier to get to than the underside of the fusebox.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

yeah i thought about that after i went to bed....the white green under hood is mainly for remote start and keyless entry use to trigger the parking lights but itll work for what hes wanting...either one really...

Quick Reply: Which wire to tap for Dimmer